Any methodoloy for introducing live rock to tank?

inachu

In Memoriam
I just buy from fish store when it is all brown and yuky
I then dip it in some old bucket to wash off residue then I plac eit in my tank.

Normally in 24 hours the rock is much more colorful or at least in my experience.

Since I have beeen adding TLC and PURPLE UP they sure do look better.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12274404#post12274404 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by makavelli911
is the rock cured?

brown and yucky doesn't picture cured to me;)

I would be careful how much uncurred live rock you put in your tank at one time because it will still have to cycle.
Depending on how much live rock you already have and how long your tank has been established I would only add at the most 3 lbs every couple of weeks.

Placing uncycled rock into your tank is like dumping the water and sponges from a dirty filter in there. Why would you wan't to do that?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12275809#post12275809 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tmz
Placing uncycled rock into your tank is like dumping the water and sponges from a dirty filter in there. Why would you wan't to do that?

Ah! see! I did not really now this.

Yeah so sometimes I rinse them in old tank water I am about to flush or depending on how they look I put them right in.

In my opinion, it is much better to allow live rock to cure completely outside the display tank. Placing uncured or partially cured rock in the tank means you are placing decaying organic matter in the tank in large quantities. This will lead to a buildup of nutrients which will fuel nuisance algae growth.

Back