Any One Have An Older Jager Heater?

krzyphsygy

I have one from about 3-4 years ago and it keps sticking on. It is a 200 watt heater and i have it set to 78 but My QT tank temp goes all the way up to 82 with it and it is still on so I have to turn it off.
I cant remember if this can be calibrated. I know the new ones can.

There is a gray pin on the top of mine that you can pull out....what is this for?

I am using it just to heat my 10gl QT until the proper size one arrives.

This heater has not been in service for 3 or so years, but it worked perfectly before. Never a problem, now it wont turn off!

I know this gray pin is for something, but what??

I know on mine I have the temp set on it like 72 or something crazy low like that, but my tank is always at 78. Had mine for 5+ years never had a problem.

I know on mine I have the temp set on it like 72 or something crazy low like that, but my tank is always at 78. Had mine for 5+ years never had a problem.

So what is the silver pin for on top of the heaters head?? You can pull it out and push it back in. What is it meant for? Is that how you set the temp??

I think this is the problem, I just need to know how to operate it??

not sure about what silver pin your talking about on top. are you talking about the little point that twists to the temp #?

Depending on year it was made it COULD vary but i dont think so.
I would use a small bucket of water you know the temp of. Plug the heater in and pull the pin turn the dial till it just go's off. Let sit for a couple hrs plugged in and see if the heater is is correct temp to be maintained at.

You can google the instructions as well to be 100%. Like i said it could vary on the year it was made. I dont trust any heater, A controller is a nice failsafe.

I have two that I bought in 2004 and just checked them today and they were off about 4-5 degrees each... it's easy enough to calibrate them though.

That gray pin (mine are blue) is the calibration pin. You put the heater in a container of water that you know the temp of from a good thermometer. Let it stay in there for a while to acclimate to the temp of the water, then pull the pin on top (I had to use needle-nose pliers) all the way up, a little over 1/4" out. Then turn the temp selection ring to the temp of the water according to your good thermometer. Then push the button back down. Then you can set the temp you want the heater to heat up to and it should get it there fairly close. Or in your case since the heater is heating too much, you'll probably have to calibrate your's up some, so after you calibrate it, you'll be turning the temp selector back down to where you want the water to be.

Hope that makes sense... Ebo jager has the manual on their site if you need it.

not sure about what silver pin your talking about on top. are you talking about the little point that twists to the temp #?

Well, there is a round gray pin that is set in the top of the heater. You can pull it out, not all the way but some, and then push it back in. I tried to use it as a calibration knob somewhat with no luck.

I am determined to get it working....feels like user error.....lol

I have two that I bought in 2004 and just checked them today and they were off about 4-5 degrees each... it's easy enough to calibrate them though.

That gray pin (mine are blue) is the calibration pin. You put the heater in a container of water that you know the temp of from a good thermometer. Let it stay in there for a while to acclimate to the temp of the water, then pull the pin on top (I had to use needle-nose pliers) all the way up, a little over 1/4" out. Then turn the temp selection ring to the temp of the water according to your good thermometer. Then push the button back down. Then you can set the temp you want the heater to heat up to and it should get it there fairly close. Or in your case since the heater is heating too much, you'll probably have to calibrate your's up some, so after you calibrate it, you'll be turning the temp selector back down to where you want the water to be.

Hope that makes sense... Ebo jager has the manual on their site if you need it.

Appreciate it, I am gonna try that...good idea. I feel like it is a calibration pin, but I cant get it working. Will poswt results :>

This is what both of my heaters look like. Is the gray pin you are talking about the same as the blue pin on mine? If so... you can see in the 2nd pic how the pin pulls way out to do the calibration.

Pin pressed in:
WD_0771.jpg

Pin pulled out (I use needle nose pliers):
WD_0772.jpg

This heater has not been in service for 3 or so years, but it worked perfectly before. Never a problem, now it wont turn off!

I know this gray pin is for something, but what??

krzyphsygy, not to spoil the fun but keep a sharp eye out for stray current in your tank. A heater which has been in use and is then allowed to dry out often will not seal correctly against water entry.

You may be asking for trouble. Is there any moistrue visible inside the glass yet? Does the heating element show any signs of corrosion? Please be careful. :deadhorse:

Time to drop 30 on a new one and not risk cooking the fish. :twitch:

I have had many Ebo's from back in my Fresh Water days. Thermostat issues are rare in my experience with them. But they can stick on and or off. Give it a light tap off something not breakable and see if the light turns off. Once they start sticking there is no reason not to believe this will not continue. You need a controler or a new heater if this is the case.

Best of luck.

This is what both of my heaters look like. Is the gray pin you are talking about the same as the blue pin on mine? If so... you can see in the 2nd pic how the pin pulls way out to do the calibration.

Pin pressed in:
WD_0771.jpg

Pin pulled out (I use needle nose pliers):
WD_0772.jpg

Sweet photo...:) yes that is it. That is the pin. Thank you!!!

So here is an update on the heater. I set the thermostate at 73 degrees and the sun of a gun just turned off for the first time at 80 degrees. Nice right, well atleast it finally turned off. So I am guessing I need to unplug it and pull the pin out and then turn the dial to 80 degrees? That will calibrate it to 80 right?? It is currently 7 degrees off...lol

Honestly I am afraid to turn the thing off or mess with it. I am guessing it is calibrated way off because the light finally went out.

Thoughts?

krzyphsygy, not to spoil the fun but keep a sharp eye out for stray current in your tank. A heater which has been in use and is then allowed to dry out often will not seal correctly against water entry.

You may be asking for trouble. Is there any moistrue visible inside the glass yet? Does the heating element show any signs of corrosion? Please be careful. :deadhorse:

Time to drop 30 on a new one and not risk cooking the fish. :twitch:

I have had many Ebo's from back in my Fresh Water days. Thermostat issues are rare in my experience with them. But they can stick on and or off. Give it a light tap off something not breakable and see if the light turns off. Once they start sticking there is no reason not to believe this will not continue. You need a controler or a new heater if this is the case.

Best of luck.

Preciate that.......thanks. I just went and took a look at the coils and no rust or anything, looks brand new. Also no condensation either. heater worked perfectly when it was in service a few years back. It was also hooked up to my chiller though that has a controller built in. I will keep an eye out for that though, all in all, this is a 200 watt heater in a 10gl right now while the tank is cycling.
This is my QT fish tank for my 90 going up in a while.

Well just to let you know.. One of those heaters that I mentioned I had calibrated has been sticking on for me too. The tank goes over 80 degrees and the light is still on. I can reach in and turn the heater down to 75 and it still stays on. I notice if I push in on the button real hard, it goes off, but then comes right back on when I release the button.

So I'm thinking this one is coming out of the tank. They are cheap enough to replace.

Just FYI...

Yea, mine has stopped sticking, but it is 7 degrees off. I have it set to 73 and it turns off at 80...not really sure why, dont want to mess with it. But yea they are easy to replace, just bewilders me why they do this. Its not a hard concept.
Have any experience with any other brands you like? I unfortunately do not. This was the first one that actually worked for some time.

I have my heater supposedly set at 78. I have it plugged into my Apex controller. Can I just set the heater to say, 85, and let the controller control the on/off of the heater?

Better to set the heater at 81 or 82 so it will shut its self off if the controller were to somehow "stick" on.

Back