Any small local swaps coming soon?

daveverdo

I know there was the big swap in Buffalo this past weekend but I was curious if anyone knows of any smaller meets coming up. I miss some of the old style meets. Most of the best colors I ever got were from local meets t either houses or stores.

Things are dead down here in the Southern Tier and I always willing to take a ride for some good conversation and a few corals.

I am looking for some easy SPS frags and can't justify the cost of mail order or commercial fraggers.

Dave

I can ask them if they have anything planned. They usually aren't too hard to convince to have a party.

Swaps have taken on an odd feel as of late. I think hobbiest did fairly well at ABCs annual November swap. Sellers and buyers.

My tank was down at the time. Missed out by about 4 weeks.

Thanks for the reply.

I was at the Fall swap and picked up a few things from the store, some pro fraggers, and some hobbyist. Most things are still going strong. The only thing I lost was the Copperband Butterfly but I don't blame the seller for that one.

The only thing that disappointed me with the meeting was I didn't know anyone and most hobbyist weren't too friendly. I did talk to a few people but it was more business than a meet and greet kind of thing. It may have been worse for me because I'm not from that area so that I don't recognize people. You could have walked past me 20 times and I wouldn't have known. I couldn't just walk up to everyone and say "who are you, do I know you from ReefCentral?"

Maybe at a meet like that someone could set up an RC meet and greet.

It is still not the same as it was 10-15 years when people just got together at someone's house but you can't go back in time. We have to keep moving forward.

We used to wear name tags with our RC handle on it and it was like old home days. People are either lurking, or going to social media, ReefTwoReef etc. fragmented.... no pun intended.

I agree, there are professional fraggers that buy from vendors then sell at retail, makes me look and tilt my head like my Boston Terrier. Then there are guys like Mark Spadafora that has good quality stuff he's grown out over the years, and then there's the rest of us breaking off sticks or looking to buy sticks but more there to grab a drink or snack with similar ilk.

I'm in the Elmira area and yeah I agree with Dave. Only shop thats close is City Zoo

I spoke to Tim at ABC. He said they'll discuss it at the next board meeting. I asked if I was on the board and he said of course, I have a beer fridge and a fish tank, so I'm in.

I'm down , neighbors got me drunk the night before. Rolled in hungover. might have been rude ? came home w with good deals. Even the random /impulse jellyfish are alive and well.

Dave, I was in the city zoo a couple months ago and Mason was talking about having a small swap for locals. The next time you are in there ask him about it.

I absolutely agree that the 2 swaps I have been to since getting back into the hobby felt more commercialized than anything else... The majority of hobbiests were asking retail price for anything nice that they had.

I spoke to Tim at ABC. He said they'll discuss it at the next board meeting. I asked if I was on the board and he said of course, I have a beer fridge and a fish tank, so I'm in.

lol... I started reading this and my immediate thought was, "There's a board???" Then I finished reading and thought, "Yea, that sounds about right."

Last edited:
Back