Any suggestions on catching damsels?

you can try to trap him, but in that big of a tank I doubt it would work. You may have to take all the rocks out. I had to do that in my 55g. sorry........thats why people avoid damsels in a stocked tanks!!!

Grab a chair, a cold one, and your best fishing pole and spend a night fishing........Good Luck. I tore a whole tank down to get rid of two chromis. Jon

2nd the tear down. Had to dismantle my buddies 135 to get out 2 dominos and a chromis. Of all the fish he had in the tank, guess which 3 were the last ones we could catch. And thats after taking out ALL the LR. It was like trying to catch a humming bird in a snow storm.

I left the net in the tank so they wouldn't be afraid of it. Only for a day or so. I turned down the lights. feed them. During the feeding frenzy I snatch two of the little buggers out. I had to wait a few more days befor I could get te third DAMsel. I just kept leaving the net in the tank. GOOD LUCK!!

check this website out. http://www.floridadriftwood.com/fish_trap.htm My tank is not as big as yours, but it worked beautifully. I added some fishing to the end were the fish goes in, sat down to watch tv and when the fish went in I pulled the fishing line and took him out ( I was going after a blue devil damsel too...those suckers are small and fast).
Good Luck

I don't actually have a reef tank yet, but this works for me when catching fast freshwater fish.

Use one large net, and chase them into it with a smaller one. Or you could leave the net in as suggested, I do that with my breeding tanks. They just sit there and go right in. :p

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11225145#post11225145 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crusing52
I left the net in the tank so they wouldn't be afraid of it. Only for a day or so. I turned down the lights. feed them. During the feeding frenzy I snatch two of the little buggers out. I had to wait a few more days befor I could get te third DAMsel. I just kept leaving the net in the tank. GOOD LUCK!!

I just did this exact same thing to catch a Naso and a trigger. It was a breeze. Damsels are pigs when eating. It should be easy to catch them!

Back