Anyone actually think these are from Japan?

If you buy them then ship them to me they would be for sure right? LOL.

I actually have no idea but I see the Japanese name thrown around on zoas quite a bit lately.

Well, the vendor's based in the US, so he'll have a harder doing that than you will.

He's asking a rhetorical question. The way the label "Japan" is used to generate hype is pretty shameless, particularly as a lot of the corals sold that way in the US are either not available here, rarely available here or clearly imported when they are available here.

Evsaltbay, that they would for sure! If only it were possible.

Tom, I think you'd agree, givent the amount of rock on these, even if they were Japanese, they couldn't have been exported with that baserock on them.

I'm enjoying the Japanese BTAs that are appearing as well. Clearly Sri Lankan.

Indeed, plus the fact that they're not one of the regular color morphs we see over here, though it's never 100% certain these days, what with Photoshop etc.

Not on Fish Street yet?

Flying tomorrow at 9am. Should be on Fish Street picking up my new LEDs around 4pm. I'll take some pics this time.

i really could care less where my corals are from... its more about the colors and shapes imo... those arent really much to look at to me, or they are jus a bad pic... but to each there own...

GL if you get any :)

Those are generic Indonesia zoanthids with a good scoop of photoshop on the side. That vendor is well known for their shenanigans, I hope whomever just blew $170 knows they got a $40 rock of keds reds with some LA lakers hitchhikers.

Pallobi, no not interested in these, just interested in how stores attach 'Japanese' as a way of selling ordinary corals at extraordinary prices.

Organism. Exactly. Not Japanese and not that special.

I think people will believe what they want. I don't know if the vendor is purporting their eastern origin or not, but these labels are what buyers are attracted to it seems.

The red polyps have been around for 12 + years and I have owned them as well as many many reefers I know locally and abroad.

The yellow polyps on the top and right upper 2/3 of the picture are experiencing some serious mutation/expulsion issues possibly and I highly suspect they are the exact same polyps as the lower 1/3 portion of the yellows. I also think under stable lighting all of the yellows are the exact same morph. If that is indeed true, no, they are not of an eastern origin. Why? I personally own and grew several colonies of them myself as far back at 2001 - 2005 and posted them in my TOTM 2003 photo display. At that time, to my knowledge, ( zoanthid wise ) nothing was coming out of Japan. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

I posted a picture of my polyps below which are exactly the same as the lower 1/3 of the polyps in the above picture. At the time these were being sold for roughly $ 30 for an entire colony of 40+ polyps and I got them from a guy in Mississippi, not Japan, back in 2001.

Taken 2003

MuchoMustardcolor.jpg

Thanks for sharing MDP. Hope you and Escaped Ape are doing well my friend(s).

Mucho Reef

Last edited:
There is definitely that distinct patterning that was, a while back, considered ''deep water japanese zoanthid''

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/cherry-corals/43553-deepwater-zoas-now-cherrycorals.html

If you google that term, you will find many many zoanthids that all have a similar look, depsite being different colours. Their colours too though, have a similar hue...

Now whether the initial place these were picked was in deep water japan doesn't really matter. I think most of these are aquacultured. I know mine were.

D

Mmm I think it actually does matter when it is used as a sales tool to cynically boost price. The original Japanese deepwater Zoas were from Vietnam and Indonesia so calling them Japanese is simply dishonest. This is more than 'just a name'. It's deliberate cheating of less informed consumers.

Apologies if people think I'm over reacting. Provenance of livestock if offered has to be accurate. Why mislead about provenance other than to raise price.

It is the same with my fancy goldfish. Lineage is everything and I source my fish very carefully direct from breeders as they are often mis sold here as 'x blood line'. When they in fact have nothing to do with the claimed breeder.

Pure marketing, I guess.
Like all the other weird names we find.
People like the names and pay their price$$$.
And we all have to kinda respect the way it is.
If you can, and like it, pay for it and call what they want you to call.
I believe that those "deep water Japanese zoas" and even "Japanese zoas" can be found in other places and perhaps not in Japan.
Most of them, if not all, are not deep water!
They do have deep zoas down to about 100ft deep in Okinawa, but not the ones they normally sell around.

Sad!
Grandis.

Last edited:
Mmm I think it actually does matter when it is used as a sales tool to cynically boost price. The original Japanese deepwater Zoas were from Vietnam and Indonesia so calling them Japanese is simply dishonest. This is more than 'just a name'. It's deliberate cheating of less informed consumers.

Very well said!

Back