anyone done jellyfish?

ponda

i have a empty biocube 29gal biocube.
can i do jellyfish in it? has anyone else done jellyfish? how hard are they to maintain?

You have the wrong shaped tank. Jellyfish are kept in circular tanks. For their well being, no corners to damage their tentacles. No powerheads in tank, filtration system is specialized for jellies. List goes on and on. If, you think cost of a FOWLR is expensive. Do some research on proper jellyfish setup. It's not worth it, IMO. And, yes they are difficult to maintain. No, I haven't owned one. But, I have done some research.

so far the only successful tanks I know of are Monterrey Bay and Seattle Aquariums. Big circular tanks.

I disagree with ONLY being able to use a rounded tank. The biocube has rounded corners that I think would do just fine; the issue with the biocube, IMO would be the slats that lead to the back chambers. My LFS has upside down jellies that they've had in a little 1 gallon (maybe), square, selling tank for ... I don't even know; at least as long as I've been going to the LFS so a bare minimum of 6 months. I honestly don't know if they even feed them?? Maybe upside down jellies are hardier than most? You could look into them and see what you find, but I would worry about what you could do to cover up those slats in the back wall.

The upside down jelly is sold for home tanks; moon jellies are a different kind of critter. I know Seattle Aquarium has an 8 foot loop tank and a whole back room about 50x30 feet dedicated to maintaining that exhibit. They and MOnterrey Bay are among the first to do it successfully.

The upside down jelly is sold for home tanks; moon jellies are a different kind of critter. I know Seattle Aquarium has an 8 foot loop tank and a whole back room about 50x30 feet dedicated to maintaining that exhibit. They and MOnterrey Bay are among the first to do it successfully.

this. However upside down jellyfish are not a walk in the park to maintain either. They will require daily supplemental feeding with zooplankton substitutes and very intense lighting.

so far the only successful tanks I know of are Monterrey Bay and Seattle Aquariums. Big circular tanks.

Shedd Aquarium in Chicago had an exhibit I toured a couple years ago. I assume it's still there. Pretty neat place.

this. However upside down jellyfish are not a walk in the park to maintain either. They will require daily supplemental feeding with zooplankton substitutes and very intense lighting.

Hi, I have 8X 48 inch LED tubes and a chiller.
I want to remove my fish and live stock and go 100% jelly. :hmm5:

Just king of bopping in, I have no idea what im doing other then this single post and the fact that my eyes are burning up from the Sunbrite rig I just installed.

75F all day long... :wave:

Typical lifespan for a jellyfish is something around 4 months. Unless you want to keep buying jellyfish over and over, not really worth the trouble. Unless you just want to try it for a while then use the tank for other things. I used a marina splash aquarium for 2 maroon blubber jellies and it worked out ok. To Cover the vents at the bottom I simply buried them with smooth stones.

Back