Anyone dose with vodka or sugar?

Supposed to stimulate bacteria and help break down dissolved organics into something more usable by bacteria I THINK.

I know I'll be stimulating myself with vodka this evening :D

FWIW I was dosing sugar. I stopped because some of sps were color shifting. I lost my nice pastels and got quite a bit of Green. I would say that if your trying to fix bad problem with Nitrate then give it a go. But its not a long term answer. Typically the sugar has been deemed to be safer.

Scott

I've been dosing vodka for almost a year I think 6 liters at this point. I have a 92 corner and dose a capfull daily. I have also been dosing evey other night amino acids about a capful.
between the 2 water clarity is better nucance algea is low or none. and good coloration on sps. I believe vodka is a better idea than sugar since there are less possible contaminants in it...

yes but has more stuff in it that could be variables that may react differently.
I would recoment normal white sugar or go to the liquor store and buy the cheapest vodka you can get.
depending on tank size start with 1mil a day and after several days increase slowly by eithor .5 - 1 ml every few days till you see a bacteria bloom (scummy film on glass like snot) then take your dosage and cut it in 1/2 and dose that daily

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9264146#post9264146 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltwaterfishlover
go to the liquor store and buy the cheapest vodka you can get.
make sure to get the obligatory brown bag

I've never dosed with Vodka or sugar, but my wife has tossed some of that stuff in my aquarium. Pepper too. So far it hasn't killed anything. :D

I can just hear the conversation in the tank....
Mr."Amp" Bicicnctus: Hey, Angel did you place the order for lunch?

Mr. Navarchus "Angel" Majestic: Nope the tang said he would take care of it.

Mr.A."Powder" Leuco:Hey!, powder did you place the order?
Yep,I ordered mysis, spirulina ceasar salad sprinkled heavy with pods with a side order of Reef Chili with vodkas all around.
And for dessert I asked for sweetened salt water....flavored with essence of brine shrimp, hold the bubble algae..

:rollface: :rollface: :rollface: :rollface:

I can just hear the conversation in the tank....
Mr."Amp" Bicinctus: Hey, Angel did you place the order for lunch?

Mr. Navarchus "Angel" Majestic: Nope the tang said he would take care of it.

Mr.A."Powder" Leuco:Hey!, powder did you place the order?
Yep,I ordered mysis, spirulina ceasar salad sprinkled heavy with pods with a side order of Reef Chili with vodkas all around.
And for dessert I asked for sweetened salt water....flavored with essence of brine shrimp, hold the bubble algae..

:rollface: :rollface: :rollface: :rollface:

Thats pretty indepth Jim. Thats the kind of stuff my wife makes fun of me for saying!!!

I am scared to dose vodka because my tangs might be angry drunks!

Back