Anyone else here with a clown tang?

Nick A

I just picked one up today and he's about 3.5" long. Made sure he ate at the store and he's been there for a couple weeks now. The tankmates don't mind him, and right now he's picking at the rocks and looks pretty happy. He's been fed mysis shrimp, but is there any other food I should consider trying? The food in my arsenal include Formula 1 and 2 flakes, frozen mysis, and nori.

Also, is there anything I should know about? I did do some research on him and the only other fish I want for this tank is a naso, but I'll be looking for a larger naso so I can reduce the chance of any aggression issues.

How big of a tank? Clown tangs are probably the most aggressive species, and Nasos aren't known to be incredibly peaceful either.

I have tried a few in a 300g and a 500g FO and never had one survive more than a few weeks. They have all been healthy looking, no spots or discoloration, and have eaten like champions up until the day they croaked. I have thrown in the towel, as I don't want to keep plucking these poor guys off the reef only to die in a month...

Thanks for the info. It's a 240g, and the rockwork is pretty open. I have read mixed experiences with these guys, but I'll try my best to make sure he lives for a while.

I had one for about 2 months. he ate like a pig, then he just stopped and got really skinny and just wasted away.

My fav tang of them all. I gone through like 12 clown tang only was able to keep one alive for 3 month. Others for a week or so.

I have one along with all the other worst fish in the world to have together, lol. They all seem to get along so far, don't know how long the po had them for but I've had them for a few months and so far all have grown considerably and like to party!! I don't know if me keeping them wellfed has anything to do with it but they all get along so far.

So I guess I have been real lucky....first one and only I bought is in my avatar.He is going on 7 years this fall(Sept./Oct.).I feed a lot of chopped salmon from the market and grape caulerpa & chaeto from the fuge and OSI spirulina flakes....although he eats everthing he can get.He is not overly aggressive....except with his reflection(in the avatar/ pic).Tank mates include 2 yellow tangs,1 sailfin tang,2 maroon clowns,1 potters angel,1 blueface angel,1 filamented flasher wrasse.
When I first got him ,I quarantined with copper for 2 weeks ...maybe that made a difference?

Wow, that is impressive. He looks great! How big is he now? Mine's been eating some mysis so far, but I'm going to try chopped squid and see if mine likes it. I did have some nori in there today but haven't been able to watch the tank enough to see if he was able to eat some. If the squid doesn't work then I also have some frozen sardines and mackerel I can try.

Also, hows your flow and rockwork setup?

When I put food in the tank mine attacks it! Nori cut into strips is gone in 60 seconds.I really believe you need to offer lots of seaweed/caulerpa....vegetables.I used to be able to buy some type of fresh reddish seaweed at the LFS.When they stopped having it I switched to caulerpa.I think the fresh weed is important ,his nature is to pick at the rocks all day .I think he is looking for vegetation to eat.
My tank is two sided...one side living room/one side kitchen. So the fish can swim 6 ft.on each side and man does this fish need that room.He swims like crazy.

So I guess I have been real lucky....first one and only I bought is in my avatar.He is going on 7 years this fall(Sept./Oct.).I feed a lot of chopped salmon from the market and grape caulerpa & chaeto from the fuge and OSI spirulina flakes....although he eats everthing he can get.He is not overly aggressive....except with his reflection(in the avatar/ pic).Tank mates include 2 yellow tangs,1 sailfin tang,2 maroon clowns,1 potters angel,1 blueface angel,1 filamented flasher wrasse.
When I first got him ,I quarantined with copper for 2 weeks ...maybe that made a difference?

IMO copper qt helps but if you have ick in the tank it doesn't matter.
now i do believe on let the fish acclimate on stress free environment ,let it fatten up and build up confidence then put it on your main tank .

@ wetfish How's your blueface?
Mine intimidate my emperor so I have to wait few months before I adding the emperor back on my main tank I let the emperor fatten up and build his confidence on the 150 then add a asfur or
maculosus and maybe dwarf too so the aggression will be dispersed.
What do you think?

Last edited:
Ignorance

Ignorance

I'll keep tying till I get one to live for a long time.....

It's people like this that keeps the bad fish stores in business and then we all have to deal with new laws being created to regulate what we can and cannot keep. Obviously you don't have the skill level or the knowledge/husbandry techniques to keep this particular fish alive. It's nothing to brag about on the forum as it makes you look like a blatant fool that could care less if you kill a living thing. Don't get me wrong, I've screwed up and lost fishes before, but I don't sit there and brag about it, and especially do my research thoroughly before embarking on a pointless journey of repeatedly killing the same type of fish over and over. Maybe chill out on the creatine? Just a thought.

Hi Bullitr ! My blueface is doing good(conditionaly).He is probally the shyest fish I've ever had.Any fast movment or noise and zoom ....he is in the rocks.
Luckily when I quarantined him (6 wks),I trained him to eat from a coral spot feeder tube,otherwise he would already have starved.He never eats with the other fish,although he does come out and swim around some.

Back