Anyone ever purchase from CL ad in Milpitas?

FishGuy5

I came across an ad on Bay Area CL where someone has some pretty exotic livestock for sale in Milpitas. I was wondering if anyone has ever been there and if the livestock is there and healthy. TIA

He advertises a lot. I once asked him to email me pics of the goldflake angel. After a few emails promising me pics, he never sent them. Not a good sign in my eyes.

Ok i went there this weekend. Was looking for an achilles tang he is actually just 2 min from neptune aquatics so u can check him out if u r in the area. It located in the back of a nice building but the place look messy like a home garage set up for holding fish. The fish looks ok but dint know if the tanks have cooper or not and fish were swiming. I was mainly looking at the achilles so i didnt inspect everything he told me that the tang was $100 so when i got there i asked again he said he only had the med size left and was sellin for $150. The tang looked heathy but the price change i felt was not right so i just left.

The seller did mention he sold to alot of fish store in bay area. I am in sf so he mention 6 th ave was one store that bought so if u buy fish from 6 th ave then u can get direct. I would qt all his fishes tho even if they do look healthy. Also if i had wanted the fish i would have ask if i could see it eat.

I believe most store owners, if they do buy from Dean, want to get the fish before they're placed in his system. I remember seeing many posts giving negative feedback about him and his ad on CL.

If 6th ave has such a poor reputation for livestock and they get their fish here, how good can that be?

I spent an hour there 2 weeks ago. If you want to buy at wholesale prices, then don't expect it to look like a LFS. I first met him while he was delivering a few dozen fish to a large store in San Jose. I bought a PAIR of Hawaiian Flame Angels from him for $60 total and their quality is very good. See my previous post. I will be buying more fish (and corals) from him in the future.

I spent an hour there 2 weeks ago. If you want to buy at wholesale prices, then don't expect it to look like a LFS. I first met him while he was delivering a few dozen fish to a large store in San Jose. I bought a PAIR of Hawaiian Flame Angels from him for $60 total and their quality is very good. See my previous post. I will be buying more fish (and corals) from him in the future.

Does he sell the fish as soon as he gets them in? Or does he acclimate, QT, and get them to eat first?

Almost all of the fish come from collectors around the Pacific and then go to his warehouse in Hawaii. Then he brings some of the fish to Milpitas. He feeds only pellets, but you need to make sure that the particular fish you want to buy is actually eating the pellets. He has specific feeding times each day and you can arrange to be there at that time. I have the impression that the fish he sells in Milpitas have been in his system for at least two weeks, and longer for many fish.

Understand that selling to individual hobbyists is probably about 2% of his total sales.

I've bought a some fish of this guy. He is located near the Creative Labs building of Mcarthy ranch and montague. His store is pretty messy but the fish look healthy. I havent had problems with what I bought. I would go to see his exotic fish that he would advertise but when I go he never has them so I stopped going. He also mentioned to me that he sells his stock to all the local fish stores in San Jose ans Milpitas and catches all his fish himself in hawaii.

i highly doubt he sells his fish to all the local san jose shop tats a lot of fish to be catching himself but he has been selling for a long time few yrs bak his fish isnt healthy or anythin and the water in his holding tank is brown but i guess things changed according to some happy buyer

Yes alot of fishes advertised were not there and w the price change i thought was messed up as i heard 6 th was sellin achilles for 130 and his was 150 then i would have paid more w him. But w all fishes if they are in right condition and strong enough they will survive but would u really want a sick fish in an already establish tank and have a possibility of causing havoc is a different story.

But that just me

I purchased a flame angel from him. When I put the bag in my tank, the fish was laying on it's side. It died a few minutes after. I asked him if he could do anything for us. He said no and I felt robbed. The fish died before I could release him in the tank. I would never buy from this guy again.

The pair of true percs i bought from him 1.5 years back is still alive, and even spawned.
I also got some cheap live rocks from him few months back.
Always bring cash.. and in small notes too. He never have enough change..

Back