Anyone ever purchase from CL ad in Milpitas?

I purchased a flame angel from him. When I put the bag in my tank, the fish was laying on it's side. It died a few minutes after. I asked him if he could do anything for us. He said no and I felt robbed. The fish died before I could release him in the tank. I would never buy from this guy again.

How long was the fish in the bag before you saw it on its side?

He also mentioned to me that he ... catches all his fish himself in hawaii.

I think you were mistaken, or that is outdated information. When I talked to him 2-3 weeks ago he said that he gets fish from many collectors-there are more than 500 licensed collectors in Hawaii, as well as from other collectors around the Pacific. He does collect some of the fish personally, but not all of them.

That guy Dean is a joke. His place is run down and he swindled me into buying non compatible fishes just so he can turn a profit. That was when I first started reefing over 2.5 years ago. His fishes and the tanks he kept them in were horrible. Basically he is not an honest guy. I didn't know any better back then and probably wasted about $300 to learn my lesson not to do business with him. Live and learn I guess.

He will tell you anything to sell his dying fish.
And that he dive and collect them in Hawaii.
I don't really care whether he personally collect them or not , but I know for a fact that he does not. What I care about is the health and the reef safe of the fish , and price.
This guy will tell you that lemon peel angel fish are reef safe because they are collected from Hawaii, or that his flame angel are Hawaiian flame when in fact they are not. They are from Christmas island. Those who been to Hawaii and when diving or snorkeling know that Hawaii Flame are very hard to find.
Maybe some of us had gotten a good price from him in the past when he needed money or to make room for new shipment or that that fish been in store for a while and he afraid it might die soon , but most who came to his store will be con and end up buying a fish that not suppose to be in a reef tank or that it will be gone in a week.

I was there for fish he advertised but he didnt have. I asked where he got them and he said he dives for them at different locations. He even said that he was preparing his gear to dive and collect of Xmas island. This was end of July. I dont think my info is outdated.

WarrenG, I dont think was mistaken or I gave outdated info. Even his CL ad says "I brought in some 500+ personally caught super exotic marine salt water aquarium fish"

How long was the fish in the bag before you saw it on its side?

Not long at all, just the drive home from his place in Milpitas to my house in Santa Clara. I was really disappointed, you know what it's like to be really excited about a new addition...it wasn't fair, for me or the poor flame angel.

hm, guess he is rich and does this as a side hobby like Lucky Goldfish in SJ.

If he can afford to fly all over the place every few days to dive for his own fishes....that means mad money!

oh, I bought a few fishes from him too...forgot to mention that.

They were great! I saved 10 bucks per fish, but I made the medicine industry even richer by buying all these meds to fight off the stuff that came from his fishes...

He also has sharks that he sells to local places in the Bay Area. I believe he does collect some of the fish because I have seen his license before. I never bought anything from the store my self but have gone with a friend to pick up a cortez stingray. His live stock varies from looking very healthy to some of them dying in the tanks.

I believe most store owners, if they do buy from Dean, want to get the fish before they're placed in his system. I remember seeing many posts giving negative feedback about him and his ad on CL.

Dean as the one that used to work at Connies in Oakland and at Great Bay?... wow.. small world.....

Whats the name of his store again?....

Dean as the one that used to work at Connies in Oakland and at Great Bay?... wow.. small world.....
Whats the name of his store again?....

No, that's a different Dean. Dean Arima is, as some might remember, just a totally awesome guy. He worked with Henry at Alameda Aquatics (the very first one) back in the day, then Connies in Oakland, then Great Bay with Ivan.

Dean T's company is Aquatops.

umm.. so after reading and talkin about all these stuff. today, i decided to go and take a look at his place. its pretty messy and the water isnt clear. he does feed them a lot. they do eat pellets. actually end up buyin some fish. let see how they do.

If you do buy any fish from dean make sure to acclimate and QT. He runs some meds in the water of his system from what I remember and thats why the color is a little off. Also he runs the salinity in the fish system really low. Not low enough to treat ich but low like 1.014 when I tested it when I bought a few fish from him.

Back