Anyone ever set up a "live rock experiment" tank?

eschaton

Hey guys. I was active in the hobby up until around five years ago, when I stopped having tanks at home due to having a child and another on the way, and no time to deal with my existing tanks. I've kept a low-tech planted tank at work since then, and now that my kids are older and we have a bigger house, I've been itching to set up another tank - if I can only convince the wife.

Anyway, when I was active in the hobby, my favorite part by far was not the fish/ornamental inverts, or even the coral. It certainly wasn't the buildout - I hated that stuff. It was actually the live rock and seeing what hitchhikers came out of it. I liked the whole "ecosystem in a tank" aspect of reefkeeping.

I loved that different inverts developed breeding populations in my tank, from Stomatella snails to Asterina starfish to those micro-brittle stars (I had two varieties, a larger dark one, and a small white one). I liked the little Spiorbid worms, Scypha sponges, forams, pods, mysids, etc. The only "bad hitchhikers" I ever had a significant issue with were Red Planaria - things like Apitasia and digitate hydroids were pretty easy to deal with.

Regardless, I've been thinking about a concept for a very low maintenance tank I have heard about before, but never seen - just get a lot of high quality live rock (and perhaps some live sand) and leave it sit in the tank for a long time - maybe a year or more - in order to have a thriving tank ecosystem. I'd like to avoid a formal cleanup crew in the traditional sense, but I'd begin stocking with whatever snails and other inverts are known to reproduce well in tanks but which didn't hitch along on my rock. Later I'd add coral to taste, since it can grow asexually just fine in tanks. Maybe if I end up with a really thriving pod population (and I can argue my wife into a big tank) I'd try and introduce something like small gobies who could theoretically be supported based on the food the tank made by itself.

Regardless, the initial part of the plan - setting up a display tank, but adding nothing but rock for a year - would take discipline - particularly with two kids clamoring for something more interesting to look at. But I have a few practical questions.

1. If I went this route, what would be the best way to get maximum biodiversity from the rock introduced? Should I buy it uncured online from one site, since curing in tank won't be a big deal? Should I buy individual rocks from several different sources? What would you suggest.

2. If you have a tank with essentially just live rock and hitchhikers for a long period, would you have to feed the tank to some extent? Obviously algae eaters would do okay, but I'd be worried things like brittle stars and bristleworms wouldn't get enough food to form stable populations without being "fed" a few times per week.

If thats your goal then I would probably suggest ponying up for the Tampa Bay "package" and just letting that rock and roll..

Search for Guit's Caribbean Rose Coral tank. It was solely stocked by aquaculture rock and was a beautiful display of corals.

If thats your goal then I would probably suggest ponying up for the Tampa Bay "package" and just letting that rock and roll..
Yup. I did this way back in '98 when I set up my first reef tank. I had no idea how much diversity I was picking up at the time. I don't think he even had "the package" back then. I just bought some rock sand and critters and picked them up at the airport.

I might choose to buy rock and sand from there, but I really don't want the inverts which come with their package. Hermits do pick at algae, but they pick at a lot of other encrusting things on rocks as well. I've also heard that "sand stirrers" like the sea cucumber they are selling are a bad idea because they decimate the microfauna in a deep sand bed.

More broadly, I do worry a bit about getting Caribbean live rock only, given most of the stock in the hobby is Indo-Pacific, and I'd feel guilty introducing something from the wrong ocean into a tank with a well-functioning Caribbean ecosystem.

Search for Guit's Caribbean Rose Coral tank. It was solely stocked by aquaculture rock and was a beautiful display of corals.

Unfortunately it looks like he hosted on photobucket and none of his pictures are viewable any longer. I did manage to see his video of his gobies spawning however.

Tampa Bay Saltwater is your best bet. They are all I use for my tanks.
I'd still do fish and coral though. If you aren't feeding the tank (fish poo and other stuff), how is all that life going to survive/thrive?
And fwiw, i havent had any issues that I know of with the cucumbers from TBS. They seem too slow. lol

#1. I liked the whole "ecosystem in a tank" aspect of reefkeeping.

#2. If I went this route, what would be the best way to get maximum biodiversity from the rock introduced? Should I buy it uncured online from one site, since curing in tank won't be a big deal? Should I buy individual rocks from several different sources? What would you suggest.

#3. If you have a tank with essentially just live rock and hitchhikers for a long period, would you have to feed the tank to some extent? Obviously algae eaters would do okay, but I'd be worried things like brittle stars and bristleworms wouldn't get enough food to form stable populations without being "fed" a few times per week.

As for #1...Thats what really got me hooked on SW tanks. To me that was the coolest aspect of it. Im an "OG Reefer" I guess you could say and I like the low tech approach and simplicity. I think some of the best tanks I have had or seen, are the ones that more closely replicates what Mother Nature has done before us.

In fact I do have a rock only tank. I have it in case I set a tank up and need more live rock or a piece thats shaped just right for the spot I want to put it in. It also gives me a source of rock with lots of biodiversity in Bacteria, Coraline Algae and Fauna, thats ready to go, just add a glass box and water and hit the ground running!

I currently have a 300 gallon Poly Cattle Trough with about 200 lbs of various types of rock going at the moment. Some of it was actual live rock and the rest was great shaped pieces of dry rock I have accumulated over the years. Not only do I have some amazing micro fauna on it and looks amazing, it was pretty cheap to pull off too!

As for #2...I would suggest buying a little bit of live rock here and there from different sources and uncured with priority shipping to preserve as much of the Micro fauna as possible. I would QT it to ensure I had no nasties on it at which point I would toss it in the tank with a lot of dry rock and let Mother Nature do what she does so well! Procreate!!! But thats just me...

As for #3...I cant say for sure if you have to "feed it" or not. I mean unlike the ocean our glass boxes are pretty dang sterile.

I do have some Sailfin Mollies that have been converted to full strength SW and I do occasionally toss in a pinch of food. They help keep down the algae issue's. I assume there is a enough food that escapes the to support everything else in fine form and fashion, at least looking at my tank. I use a clean up crew but it mostly consist of what came on my rock naturally along with a number of Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits and Banded Troches Snails. I did throw a few clusters of Micro Feather Dusters and a few Coco Worms in the tank and yeah they have reproduced with little in the way of attention from me.

So I would say yeah go for it! Besides when you twist your wifes arm enough to spring for a "real display tank" youll have one of the most expensive parts of it already, the Live Rock, and it will be premium live rock bursting with a wealth of life on it and make your tank all them more enjoyable to watch! Why start a tank from ground zero when you can cheat and get ahead of the game when the day comes you decide to play?

Back