Anyone have Acan Maxima?

All Delight

I'd like to see what you guys/girls have out there! I'd like to get one, but never seen one for sale.

Please post pics.

I've seen an orange one in person. They are pretty nice looking, I don't think I'd pay what it takes to get one though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8042727#post8042727 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Snprhed
I've seen an orange one in person. They are pretty nice looking, I don't think I'd pay what it takes to get one though.

How much was it?

I have a large polyp acan, I don't think it is maxama though.

66054Resized_Cockatiels_008.jpg

im no expert but i dont think that they get imported from the waters that they grow in?i think thats its in omen waters and i remember that nothing gets imported from that area.ran ran i have got a couple of lobos of odd species that look alot like your coral?

It hard to id with out knowing the exact location of collection. I am going off my best guess.

Also other corals that are not susposed to be imported make it through every day.
cities and customs maybe check 1% of all the boxes that come through.

the people that i order my wholesale stuff from tell me that they are pretty tedious about checking the boxes of corals that are imported?ive been told that if they do find corals that should not be in there that they really start paying attention to your shipments ive been told this by 2 of the people that i buy nearly all of my fish and corals from and one of them is a marine bioligist.im not saying that stuff does not come in that shouldnt ever i just dont think its a really common practice because you run the chance of loosing lots of corals that you have already paid to ship here and secondly you run a chance of them holding your shipment up for a long amount of time which in this buisness could be disasterous for the health of the animals.like i said im not a expert in any way and could totally be wrong im just passing on what i have been told from my couple of years of buying wholesale corals and fish for our shop.either way its a cool coral thats not common in appearence no matter what the name!

Take a trip to LA to see all the wholesaler's get there boxes at the same time.
I was at ERA years ago with a salemen name Ivan who invited me in to cherry pick the new arivials before they open the next day.
They received 400+ boxes that night alone two full semi trucks full. Now times that buy all the suppliers.
Fish and game are just to under staff to check all the boxes.
So they try to review shipping lists.
Then when you do see the actual shipping list they will write
things like
Lobophyllia SP 50 total

If someone is going to take the time to sneak a coral in from restricted waters I don't think they are not going to sell it for the price of a lobo. Acan Maximas are pretty dull & drab in color It would be highly unlikely anyone would go out of the way to collect one unless it was specified.

Distinguishing Characteristics
Like the starry cup coral, heavy septal spines are the dominant characteristic of this species. However, the diameters of its calyces are much larger, up to 5 cm, and polyps may expand to twice this diameter. This species is endemic to Oman, meaning that it has been encountered in only Oman waters, having been described from a specimen first found off Ras al Hamra.

Habitat
Thus far, fleshy artichoke coral is very uncommon and has only been collected from the ridge area lying between Ras al Hamra and Al Fahl Island in the Muscat area, and in the nearshore waters at Sahd, Dhofar. It appears to be favored by relatively low light and high turbidity conditions that are present over sandy bottoms where most other coral species are not abundant.

this topic is one that im sure is driving some members here insane. its already been heavily discused numerous times and in depth. there are many reasons for this but it is basically impossible for someone to actually get ahold of a maxima.
the theory of other corals being "snuck" in are a totally different ball game. if they are collecting favias and in the same area there are lords, it would be possible to "sneak" a few lords in (thats assuming they were willing to take that kinda gamble). however with maximas, they only exist in oman waters. and it is an area were absolutely nothing is collected and if you were even caught in the area trying to collect anything youd be locked up.
i encourage anyone interested in the subject to do a search and check out all the lengthy info and explanations there are on this site.

Ahh, using the search funtion. But that only seems to work at 2am to 5am.

I don't pay, so I guess I can't complain.

89361mark_hennessey_house__Medium_.jpg

hey guys, this is the same kind that atlantis was selling as acan maxima, it is ?, i dont know, i asked julian sprung himself and he couldn't identified without seeing the skeleton, i go it in my favorite LFS, it was glued with other colonies of blastomussa wellsi but definitely its not a blasto.

Back