Anyone have exp with this RO unit from Ebay?

A lot of people on this forum will warn you to stay away from this unit. They have their reasons and some are valid. The main thing I have heard is that you have to watch the RO membrane. Most people recommend a 75 GPD Dow Filmtec because of its high rejection rate. (very valid reason) The other thing I hear people complain about with this unit is that it has horizontal mounted DI chambers as opposed to the vertical mounted DI chamber units.

My question to everyone is can you mount these horizontal DI units vertically and get better results. I posted this question in another forum but I did not get any answer. (vertical mounted DI Chamber).

There are people out there who have this unit and like it. I would agree that the water going into the tank is the most important piece of the system so it is up to you to decide.

I would really love to hear if anyone has tried mounting a horizontal DI chamber vertically for better results?

I love mine I got the same unit you are looking at

I say go for it

I check mine often with my tds meter and its zero

it was up to a tds reading of 3 but I changed out the di resin

to me zero tds is zero cant get much better than that!

I have one and love it! after months of heavy use my TDS meter still reads "0"
Now for the membrane....
they use a higher rejection membrane -GE Desal membrane, (even better than Filmtec membrane), it removes 97% to 98% of all chemical, dissolved solids in tap water. so even though it is higher than 75 gpd
it does NOT mess up your DI resin any faster than a slower one.
This membrain removes (even at the higher flow rate), about 98% percent of all TDS out of the water before reaching your DI resin.
You will not have the channeling effect in the horizontal DI chambers cauze, you can open them and refill them back up solid if you get any air space inside. They are also just snapped on the top of the unit.
You could (if you wanted), turn them up almost vertical.
All the filters used on this unit are standard sizes so- that bs about not being able to get replacements is BUNK!
They also have a decent tech support.
The units are made in the USA by Water General and they are a partner with Honeywell.

It's a good unit that will give you 0 TDS water for quite a while with average tap water. When the filters need changing go to http://www.thefilterguys.biz/de-ionization.htm and upgrade to better filters and the 75 GPD Filmtec membrane. Mine ran for almost 2 years with no filter changes before my TDS started creeping up. I changed all filters, upgraded the membrane and got enough DI resin to fill my cartriges several times and still haven't reached the initial costs of the higher end units that need their filters changed just as often. jgrossman was right saying that many will bash this unit but 0 TDS water is 0 TDS water period and you can spend the money saved on something else you need.

Thank you very much for the info scumonkey. I have been researching this unit for some time now and you are saying everything I thought. The nice part is you get all the bells and whistles with this unit for a really good price. Nice point about the fact that they are made in the USA. I know there are people on this forum who will disagree with what you and others are saying but that is the beauty of this. It is eveyones opinion not fact. I have been trying to get the facts as best as possible. I will ask the people at Water General about the vertical mounting of the DI unit. I think that it might be able to help reduce the channeling effect by using gravity not fighting it.

Alot of people on this forum will trash it just because it is sold on ebay. But his 99% + of feedback from over 6000 people should be good enough.

Don't worry about it. That unit is great. I use a filter direct 110 gal/day with no complaints. Can't beat the price and the performance is great.

I bought one a couple years ago. The inline horizontal DI is a joke. Mine wore out completely after a couple hundred gallons even though the after RO water was only around 3-4 TDS reading. IF you buy one, plan on buying a decent standard cartridge DI unit quicker than you would like to.

Other than that the unit works. Not nearly as nice a quality as ones available elsewhere, but you get what you pay for.

I'm still using it years later now, but I've added to it and changed all of the filters and membrane.

well since you bought yours a few YEARS ago you don't have the same thing! They have altered it and changed membranes improving the unit. As a matter of fact, they even altered the unit again within the past 2 months! I have personally processed more than 500 gallons with mine and have not had to change any part of my DI resin.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8068557#post8068557 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jgrossman

My question to everyone is can you mount these horizontal DI units vertically and get better results. I posted this question in another forum but I did not get any answer. (vertical mounted DI Chamber).

I would really love to hear if anyone has tried mounting a horizontal DI chamber vertically for better results?

I've vertically hung mine with no problems. As far as results, the resin still leaves a gap as it is used up, but there is no way for the water to pass through the chamber without going through the rest of the resin. Horizontally it could pass over the resin after enough had been used up.

I just changed my sediment and 2 cabon filters 2 weeks ago after a year of use. Great unit for a great price.

I have the same unit and love it, like one member said"zero tds is zero tds", no matter where you buy it , or how much you pay for it!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8073139#post8073139 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BAILEY464
I have the same unit and love it, like one member said"zero tds is zero tds", no matter where you buy it , or how much you pay for it!

DITTO!!!

I've got 3 units from them. Two at my home and one at my office.. Oldest unit is about 2 years old.. They work great. I agree dont listen to the bashers on RC.. It gets your water down to 0 TDS and keeps it there.. You should get a year or so out of your filters if you dont touch them.. If you change your prefilters out every 6-8 months your membrane should last you a couple of years.

Like they said the filters are STANDERD size.. So it doesn't matter if you spend 99 or 300. The units take the same size replacement filters...

I have a filterdirect unit and am pleased with it. The only problem I had was channeling in the DI but that was easy to fix. I simply added an add-on DI unit from www.buckeyefieldsupply.com and I still came out ahead. I did request the 75gpd membrane when I ordered it.

Back