Anyone have experience with aiptasia eating filefish?

plankton

Premium Member
Aiptasia Eating Filefish
Acreichthys tomentosus

I've tried nudis, aptasia X, peppermint shrimp but they just come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a pair of A. tomentosus in my 150. They definitely helped suppress the aptasia. Using livestock to treat aptasia will rarely fully eliminate it; removing the fish/shrimp will typically result in its return. I have a Copperband, Filefish, and pair of peppermints in my tank and haven't seen aptasia in my display for months.
They are also known to nip at corals, mostly LPS and softies.

They are really cool. Mine changes colors and hides in the Xenia. Unfortunately he is not a fan of aptasia, but specializes in eating high end zoos.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I have two large colonies of acans and a few small colonies of zoa so think I should get rid of them ?

I have one, I never saw him eat any but they slowly started to disappear after a couple of weeks and now there are none. I've never witnessed him eating any of my LPS just stealing food from them. He eats everything pellet, freeze dried krill, nori and frozen foods.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Mine cleared out all my aiptasia in a few days. But then he also killed all my rock flower nems and recently an elegance coral.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

They will definitely eat your aphasia but be careful. The current one I have in my tank doesn't pick on corals. The last one I had took a liking to zoas.

Do you have a lot? I've used super gel in the past with good success. Just make them shrivel into the hole and squirt some in there. Get the little tubes they sell at the dollar stores.

Thanks for the replies and advice and ordered two small ones and aptasia eating shrimp from iota. Eventually one of the two will be transferred to my 75G when one gets larger. I have a large Xenia colony so would be nice if they hosted there. And yeah unfortunately I have lots of aptasia right now.

I used to have a ton. I have 3 file fish in different tanks and all my aptasia are gone now. One likes to eat on zoas too so I dont keep zoas in that tank. the 2 others dont seem to have bothers any LPS or zoas in the tank.

My experience is the same as others --they're very unpredictable. I equate them to angels in a reef where they can go rogue. Just keep an eye on them. And also have a cover on your tank. I found one of my filefish on the floor the other day.

Thanks again for your advice. Yes I have cover on both tanks and have some zoa but nothing rare. I scheduled to get the fish and peps Tuesday morning and so excited as the aptasia have grown very large and taking over parts of the 25G tank. I also don't want to move any corals to new 75G tank until I get aptasia under control in my 25.

Received two babies from biota today! I hope they adjust to the 25G cuz I have a lot of aptasia for them to graze on!

19c7d9d1317433d67ffb4f2e0150efca.jpg

So sixline wrasse has decided it doesn't like the larger of the two near the live rock and has dive bombed a couple times. Supposedly they are supposed to be compatible. Hmm

They suck. You have to really get a good one. Don't believe the sticker that they eat aptisa They rather wait for a free meal then hunt. Your best bet is to put it in a small tank with aptiasa and starve it into eating it. The return it to main display for continuous eating. Once it knows the free food falls from the sky then that what it will
Always wants.

Cool another reef experiment! LOL let's see how they behave with their new tank mates and the aptasia in the next few weeks. I may have to stock the 75G with all new corals from tank that is guaranteed aptasia free!!

They are quite alien fish and fun to watch.

1a44b91de0612f10751d558cf47bf4c1.jpg

Using the old net trick and so long as I leave the net in the tank the file fish are free to explore entire tank and sample things until they discover what tastes good.
d02085df29516e3821a98a053b95586e.jpg

Good news is that all the fish get along now and because the tank is a year old there is alotta food, and growth on the LR to graze. I fortunately I haven't seen one nibble at an aptasia and they seem to actually avoid them.

Back