Anyone here Dive CCR?

Armson

I am having a hell of a time. Trying to pick one out. I am leaning toward the optima because I own the transpac harness allready.

Any suggestions?

-B

There are forums for CCR and tech diving, I would ask there.

I would check around your area and see who gives instruction for which modles first. You maybe need to travel a ways to get instruction on the one you want.

How long have you been diving? Why do you want a CCR?

I have been all over the Rebreather Forums and everybody has a different opinion, I asked here because I would like get a different point of view with out the thread turning into a battleground on which rebreathers have the highest accident ratio. There is a shop here that has rebreathers and funnything is that it's the one I am leaning toward but, this is now the only rebreather they carry so ofcourse they are going to say this one is the best.

I have been diving a little over seven years. I was wreck diving in NC with a ccr diver and I asked him the same question "why did you buy a ccr?" Here is the answer......

When he jumped in the water on the wreck of the Proteus at 125ft , I was just getting ready to put my wetsuit on. When I was on the hang line doing the my safty stop at the end of the dive, he was still on the wreck. When I got on the boat and got my wetsuit off he was just coming up the ladder. He had twice as much bottom time and Half as much hang time.

So in short ...

I want more bottom time.

-B

I'm guessing that you are still doing no decompression diving by your "Safety Stop".

Do you have a Dry suit? If not start there and start diving dry. It will take a number of dives to get used to the new suit and the way it works and feels.

My opinion is if you want to extend your bottom time of the deep dives go for tech with Advanced Nitrox and deco procedures. If your not doing deco diving then having more air wont get you a thing.

Then I would start with a set of doubles and go from there. You can get a lot of bottom time on open circuit with a lot less cost and maintance.

CCR have a lot more costs and maintance with them. Also depending on the type you need to have you dilutent and pure O2 filled. Others use a Nitrox mixture. You also need to clean and replace the scruber material. There is also a lot of training needed for bail out and other things that are special to a CCR. I look at a CCR as the last step in a very long road, reserved for those who want to push the limits and make very long and deep wreck and cave dives. However I do find exception to some very indepth photographers which don't want bubbles to scare there subjects away.

But thats just my hubble opinion, others will vary.

Back