Anyone in our club has done the MJ Mod

I have made a bunch, mostly for random people i know. It is a great mod.

Re: Anyone in our club has done the MJ Mod

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7493795#post7493795 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Elite
Care to share your pic/video?? I just finish mine. Here is a video. The pump is about 5" under the water.

http://media.putfile.com/mjmod

That's not bad Elite but for a 1.75" Dumas I still think you could get even more flow than that even. When I test the 1.75" Dumas mod, the flow and wave can be seen almost 4 feet away almost the entire length of my tank. Try to run the mod without the shroud and see the power this thing puts out, this should give you the potential of this mod. Then it's just a matter of refining the shroud to maximize the flow.

D.

yeah it's my first so I'm not disappointed. I'm sure I will get better (I hope :D ) ... Right now I can see the wave about 3' away ..

Thanks man for posting the instruction :thumbsup:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7495331#post7495331 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lefty
How tuff was the mod and what did it cost? :D

The mod is a lot easier to do than most people think. $5 to $10 in materials depending on your design and how nice you want it to look. If you want to make it look nice, it does help to have some tools at your disposal already though (Dremel, miter saw, or table saw). Otherwise a drill would be the only power tool required.

D.

I bought the stuff online for $25 shipped. I bought 5 props so I can only do 5 mod. The carbon tube and rod are pretty long. You can do atleast 10 or more.

It's pretty easy actually. The first one might be hard because you don't really know what you're doing. You will get better with the second one. :D

Maybe once Elite gets good enough at making these he can do a demo at your club's meeting and show members how to do it? ;)

You can get most if not all of the stuff to do this from http://mjmods.com there is even some instruction there as well.

I am not affiliated with them in any way though.

D.

i'm down for a demo, DIY mj mod as one of the meetings.. i've been trying get to making one, but just haven't found the time, this way i have some set aside hours to do it..

I've tried to on a MJ900, but it failed to propell properly. It kept bouncing up and down without any flow. I'll try to take some picture tonight with more details on part.

what prop did you use? There are a couple reasons right off why the propeller is being bounced around.

1. Not enough inlet slots or holes on the shroud.
2. The propeller is too large for the MJ pump.

Photos would definitely help though.

D.

Sorry, I don't have any pics that you could tell what they are anymore. Thay are covered in corals and the lovely purple. I made my first one a few years ago when I broke the pumps plastic from a drop. I liked the results and made a few more. Most have been sold with old tnaks through the years but I still have a few in some of my shop tanks.

I've been wanting to make one instead of buying a Seio 1100 for the other side of my tank, but then I realized I have the DIY skills of a retarded adolescent monkey, so I didn't.

:lol: trmiv .. it's pretty easy man. The hardest part is cutting the slot. I will drill holes next time :D .. Having my hand 2" from the saw blade is not fun.

Well, I trimmed off some of the propeller and now it's really generating some wave. I'm a bit disappointed with the resolve.

DHNguyen,

what propeller(s) has you used to generate the best wave for the 900 and 1200? I'm going to order some 1200 now I'm read what it could generate.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7505858#post7505858 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Elite
:lol: trmiv .. it's pretty easy man. The hardest part is cutting the slot. I will drill holes next time :D .. Having my hand 2" from the saw blade is not fun.
That's scary man

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7505858#post7505858 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Elite

Yea, but it's so much easier for me to enter 16 digits at marinedepot.com.

Back