Anyone keep a puffer in a reef? Specifically a green spotted HELP!

Candi

I'm beyond stressing out right now and hopeful someone can help.

Long story short, we just moved to a new state, I met a really nice guy online with the local reefer club, he helped me get replacement fish for the ones I lost in transit and some corals for my nano.

I told him about my 50g, which houses my marine green spotted puffer, Wasabi and a maroon clownfish... it was a "reef weed" tank (ie LR & corals such as shrooms, green star polyps, anthelia). He gave me a 36" Odessa PC light and a RBTA, along with some more LR (one piece has a small yellow leather).

Anyways I put all the above into my tank yesterday (was never out of water) and my clown immediately hosted in the rbta, Wasabi my puffer was fine as usual and I was happy.

Almost 24 hours later I just checked the tank and Wasabi's coloration was HORRIBLE, I immediately felt sick and almost reached in and started pulling the new stuff out. His belly is dark and his green/black back all bleached out and super light. His belly looked a bit big so my best guess is he tasted a coral that didn't agree with him, or he brushed the anemone and got stung?

I realize a puffer in a reef tank is a gamble but I assumed it was for the corals, not my beloved puffer; and (maybe stupidly) assumed that since he didn't mess with any of the other corals that it would be safe to add the RBTA.

So advice PLEASE. Right now his coloration is still off, not as bad as when I first saw him this morning but not anywhere near normal. His behavoir however is perfectly normal, he ate his breakfast of snails and blood worms and is busy hunting through the LR looking for other yummy things.

He is my #1 priority though and if it means I pull out the new LR, anemone, and even give back the lighting I will.

I have posted this on the pufferforum but wanted to get as many eyes/opinions as possible.

Thank you
Candi

I can try to snap a few in a bit... but just as I described. Instead of his normal bright white belly and limegreen with black spotted back he has a dark belly and his back is extremely faded, from a distance he almost looks like he has a white back and black belly.

For anyone who has a green spotted puffer, think about their coloration changes when they are sleeping, how they can lighten the green/black on their backs... multiply that by about 10. Except that he is out and about swimming around and not sleeping.

Puffers eat crustaceans and mollusks exclusively I thought (not other fish). Do you think it could be a reaction to the rbta instead?

That's what I'm trying to figure out... if it could be the rbta or maybe the leather... the maroon I've had in there for months, it's nothing to do with her. The changes were the PC lights, rbta, and a piece of LR with a leather on it.

Is everything else doing fine? Did you check ammonia? Possible you got a spike from anything dying on live rock. If it is eating and acting normal I would think he might recover from this. Try to overfeed for a week or so. Alot of times this helps lesson stress.

I had a puffer that would get like that once in a wile, and he was fine, I think that his belly would just get dark when he was stressed about something.

If he doesn't seem bothered by it, maybe you shouldn't be either! ;) :) lol I know my T. fluviatilis changed coloration randomly and showed no signs of distress. I had him a few years. If your puffer appears to be returning to normal coloration, perhaps wait it out a bit?

i have a pair of green spotted puffers in a 50G and they are in a full marine enviroment but i dont have any corals in there... a pic would help but it may have gotten stung and the bloated belly maybe due to it puffing up.

thanks everyone, I apprecaite the responses. I've had Wasabi (green spotted puffer) for a year now, took him up from freshwater to full marine. I'm very familiar with his coloration variations, he often has slight variations in color due to his mood or activity, however this is NOTHING like I've seen before. Of course we just moved in and I can't find my camera charger... will be doing a mad search tonight so I can Christmas photos of my daughter. So far he's still acting normal, I've been giving him lots to eat to help him get rid of whatever he might have eaten. As for color... his belly has lightened up some, still splotchy dark but what has me more worried is his back. It's come back a bit but he still looks white then green with spots.

Any chance the change in coloration is due to the change in lighting? I went from 2 no fluorscent bulbs to 2 96wt PCs.

His belly was full as if he had a big meal, not as if he puffed.

I'll keep everyone updated, any other ideas please post :)

i dont think that the lighting would have that much effect on the puffer itself i've changed the lighting from NO to T5's and both my puffers didnt seem to notice the change.

That does seem strange. Consider reverting to old lighting for a few days to see if he improves. Also, do you have a lot of flow, or did the flow increase when you added new rock? Also, did you rearange the aquascaping a lot recently?

And, have you tested Am. as asked above?

I'm trying to avoid changing the lighting back since the RBTA & corals really need the PC. Tested ammonia and everything else, no spikes, no changes. Only moved a couple rocks around... he got moody a couple months ago when I first added LR, but that was subtle color change and behavoir change... this is major color change but no change in behavoir. Flow is the same, although I do have 2 more power heads to add... trying to give him a few days before I do it as I don't want to add more stress.

Back