anyone know how to remove the impeller from a dart?

Ron Popeil

Love them clownfish.
id like to remove the impeller on my reeflo dart, but the thing just wont come off. any suggestions? i called sequence, but....its been awhile since they said theyd call me back....

thanks for the help!

hrm. i tried a visegrip holding onto the shaft and kept the fan from moving...and still, the thing just wouldnt budge.

should it be easier?

The Impeller might be buried. A little elbow grease will loosen it. Why are you removing it? Make sure the shaft doesn't move as you can easily mar the shaft with the pliers.

I hope that link works.
I(and I guess Melev too) found instructions to be vague, and it was a little harder than expected or made out to be.
Reeflo has been difficult to reach for me as well, CS isn't what I expected or read about in previous posts.

I'm in a similar boat right now, trying to remove the impeller from a Cimmarron in order to swap seals and turn it into a Dart. This thing has been pretty lightly used, but I still can't get it off. The directions say to use a flat blade screwdriver in the back to hold the shaft, but there's just no way to hold that with one hand, and get enough torque on the impeller with the other...at least not for me. There must be some trick to it. I tried sticking a bar in the impeller for more leverage and just marred the impeller blade. Ugghhhh...

jds

Make sure you're not tightening it Jordan!

From the face of the impeller you need to turn clockwise to loosen. It may take 1 person holding the impeller and 1 turning the shaft. I had to do that on a AMPMASTER3000 before.

Here is a post taken from the Reeflo thread.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12970087#post12970087 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RokleM
Since a lot of the Reeflo owners may have not torn apart a Sequence pump before, I figured I'd document the process quick as I was upgrading mine. It isn't as easy as a smaller pump, but it's not overly difficult either.

Two images of the needlewheels (original left, Reef Specialty on the right).

07.17.2008-05.jpg

07.17.2008-06.jpg

Step 1: Obviously drain the skimmer and remove the pump.

Step 2: Remove the six nuts

07.17.2008-07.jpg

Step 3: The end will come off

07.17.2008-08.jpg

Step 4: Get a large flathead screwdriver. The shaft of the pump extends from inside the stock needlewheel all the way out the back side of the pump. Insert a screwdriver into the slot (which will hold the shaft in place), and unscrew the old needlewheel.

07.17.2008-09.jpg

Step 5: If your new unit doesn't have the middle seal, move it to the new unit. This is one of the sealing mechanisms that allows the shaft to extend from the wet section here, through the air gap, and into the main pump. It is very important to be careful on removal (don't chip, exert excessive force, etc), as you can damage it. It comes out relatively easy with a larger pair of pliers and/or wrench. Wiggle it back and forth to remove it.

07.17.2008-10.jpg

Step 6: Again use the screwdriver on the back of the pump, and screw on the new needlewheel. Get it tight, but not too tight. It should still spin a dozen or so rotations easy if you spin the unit by hand.

Step 7: Reassemble

thanks for all the help guys! i was finally able to get this thing off, but it took some serious work. the pump was a few years old and while the pump worked fine without any leaks but that impeller would just not budge. all the pictures i found made it look so easy, like it should just unscrew off. not the case. so with another pair of arms and some tools, the impeller came off and was replaced and i decided to go ahead and replace the seals as well.

so with my new impeller added, i now have a dart that moves 4400 gph instead of just 3600 gph!

thanks again!

Back