Anyone know what this is growing on my liverock? see photo

Donly1

Anyone know what this is growing on my liverock? see photo

It has taken over the front of my liverock and my pulsing xenia that was growing there, doing great, is now all gone......

Attachments

• 20170111_1137482.jpg
    20170111_1137482.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 0
Aptasia and Colonial Hydriods both very bad and need your attention pronto..do research on how to get rid of these two before they get out of hand..

Those are aiptasias, they're harmful for corals, you better get rid of them before they start invading your whole tank, do it the appropriate way, do some research before removing/killing them.

Regards

Did this stuff come from me buying new coral?

Did this stuff come from me buying new coral?

Did this stuff come from me buying new coral? added some new stuff, and maybe it was transferred....

Aptasia can be a PITA, Ive managed to keep mine under control for 4 years only have 1 on my DT and 2 in my overflow. Haven't messed with them because I don't want to risk the multiplying if I notice them multiplying then it will be a different story.

Yep.. Matted Filefish work great.. Peppermint shrimp work great..
Berghia Nudibranch only eats them too..

Lasers/torches can be used.. oh yes :)

Wait, you can kill aiptasia with lasers?!?! :fun4::fun4::fun4: I have been out of the hobby too long if you're being serious.

the consensus now on lasers are that they don't work (do some research). first....you need a clear shot at them. 2...you need to burn 100% of it, that's unlikely because they will pull themselves into a crack making it impossible to burn the whole thing.

My Filefish eradicated the aiptasia in my tank in about two weeks. Not a sign of them in months.
I don't think Filefish can eradicate aiptasia. They can hide in the rock that you can't see. If your Filefish is not there, they will come back.

I have a Copper Banded Butterfly. He seems to work well. But when I move him to QT, the aiptasia comes back.

I think Peppermint is better, Bergia Nudibranch is expensive

Wait, you can kill aiptasia with lasers?!?! :fun4::fun4::fun4: I have been out of the hobby too long if you're being serious.

In the tank a laser will work maybe 10% to 20% of the time. But WAY too often you can't get the complete foot in a hole that is at an angle to your access with the laser. If this is the case they fail miserably. BTW, check out the very first post about using a laser, it was me, and I was all gung ho. I have 2 lasers and never use them on the tank any more.

Back