Anyone pull off a large tank in an apartment?

BigWaz

Krazy Member
I am in the process of moving out of my parent's basement. I really want to keep my 90 gallon predator reef tank going. My fiancé and I want to keep the tank going, and we're planning on moving to a 1BR apartment in west hartford. We kind of think we'll just say it's like a 55 gallon or something because most people that don't know aquariums can't tell the difference, we just don't want to worry them. My tank is the mass of 6 men, I don't think it's going through the floor, 6 men standing in a party wouldn't go through the floor. I plan on putting a piece of plywood with carpet underneath and on top of the plywood, then i can suck up any leaks with a wet vacuum. I'm also pretty cautious about leaks, I have them once in a while like everyone else, but nothing scary. The worst I can imagine is us ending up on a third floor somewhere but I'm trying to avoid that.
My question is does anybody a tenet somewhere and pulls off an aquarium of this size? We live in this basement and it's a 430 sq ft area so we figure we can pull it off. We don't have many fancy things, just a tank and two kitties.
I am crazy here, you guys and gals think this isn't possible? I'm concerned...

I wouldent think twice about it just make sure it is against a outside wall so the wall will hold it

excellent point, beams go perpendicular to outside walls, I'll have to change my tank aquascape because it is able to be viewed from three sides right now but that's the least of my worries. Is there a way to make it viewed from three sides and still be near the wall and with the beams?....beggars can't be choosers... I wonder how far you can go away from the outside walls and not have to worry. I think I rather be safe than sorry.

Yeah just make sure its on a load bearing wall and is perpendicular to the frame. I did some research because I was worried about putting a 125 or the 95 i ended up getting on the floor above my basement. Of course I was able to go in the basement to see the joists and such. Anyways you go to CCSU? I go there too and live down the street if you ever want to hang out and talk reef or something!

I would look at several thing. First thing is the shape of the building your moving in. You can't see through walls but if it looks junky and not well kept then there may be chances of rotted wood and things like that from past leaks. Just use your head and you will be fine I would think. Most apartment buildings are cookie cutter so that you see in one apartment is the exact same in the apartment below or really close so I would think almost any wall would work fine.

i personally had a 90 gallon in my small one bedroom apartment, people thought i was nuts with a tank that big but oh well.so i would say has long has the support is good and the land lord dont mind the salt and their plumbing or they dont know any better than i wouldnt worry about it.

I had a 55 galon in a 2nd floor apartment. I wasn't concerned about it. You should be ok as long as you are on an outside or load bearing wall as Eric indicated.

I'm impressed you put the accent in fiance.

I had a 125,55,75 when I first got into saltwater in a 2nd floor apt.Of course none of the tanks were on a load barring wall.Amazing what you can get away with when your young and ignorant

I had a 125 in an apartment complex in MA in 97/98. Cement floors (with carpeting of course), but I still put it at a wall and not the middle of the room. I also got insurance just in case anything did happen. The rules said we were allowed to have fish, and did not limit the size, so in went the water. :D

The purple glow must have had the cops there all hours of the night when we first set it up.

--MIKE--

I had a 125 in an apartment complex in MA in 97/98. Cement floors (with carpeting of course), but I still put it at a wall and not the middle of the room. I also got insurance just in case anything did happen. The rules said we were allowed to have fish, and did not limit the size, so in went the water. :D

The purple glow must have had the cops there all hours of the night when we first set it up.

--MIKE--

LOLLOL

Back