Anyone replacing a full skimmer collection cup with the equal amount of saltwater?

It makes sense but i dont do it.

I get natural salt water delivered that is always a little salty for my liking 1.028ish so i am always trying to limit new salt in the system. If you make up your own water it might be worth it.

All depends on system size i guess

Some people do this as a way to do continual water changes, they skim wet and replace with newly made saltwater.

I'm toying with the idea of temporary heavy wet skimming to remove water for my water change rather than just siphoning it out. Hope to try it out this coming weekend.

I skim pretty wet, and I find the salinity creeps downward over about a week due to the ATo. To stabilize this I add 5 gallons a week of fresh salt water. I have a pretty big system.

Some people do this as a way to do continual water changes, they skim wet and replace with newly made saltwater.

I'm toying with the idea of temporary heavy wet skimming to remove water for my water change rather than just siphoning it out. Hope to try it out this coming weekend.

I've done this in the past. I'm not sure how much difference in makes in the grand scheme of things, but it certainly can't hurt.

I don't skim wet but empty my collection cup about once a week and I don't add salt and never notice by salinity going down. I do a water change once every 3 to 6 months.

1 cup of skimmate does not equal 1 cup of fresh saltwater...
But yes... skimming does remove some salt..

You must always measure salinity... adjust as needed..
But dumping in 1 cup of fresh saltwater each time you remove the skimmer cup is not the way to go..

Somewhere someone did a fairly extensive test on skimmate and did record salinity levels,etc.. of whats in the cup..

unless you have a very small tank and unless you are 100% spot on with your salinity in water changes (and I'm talking down to the 0.0001), the amount is negligible and would not be worth the effort IMO

1 cup of skimmate does not equal 1 cup of fresh saltwater...
But yes... skimming does remove some salt..

You must always measure salinity... adjust as needed..
But dumping in 1 cup of fresh saltwater each time you remove the skimmer cup is not the way to go..

Somewhere someone did a fairly extensive test on skimmate and did record salinity levels,etc.. of whats in the cup..
What do you mean skimming does remove some salt? Why wouldn't the foam have salt in it? How do the tiny air bubbles remove salt?

unless you have a very small tank and unless you are 100% spot on with your salinity in water changes (and I'm talking down to the 0.0001), the amount is negligible and would not be worth the effort IMO

Just to reiterate here, removing 1 cup from the skimmer from a 100 gallon system and replacing it with fresh water is only 0.06% of total volume. It would be silly to go through all that trouble of mixing salt.

I make small adjustments with my water changes. So every 2 weeks I check the salinity, if it is a little low I make my saltwater SLIGHTLY stronger like 1.027-8 instead of the normal 1.025-6. I wouldn't make extra work for yourself and worry about replacing your skimmate.

Back