Anyone resealing tanks?

I have resealed many tanks, including 125g. Just be sure to pull off all the old silicone, wipe it down with alcohol & reseal. I mean, it's just a bunch of illegal immigrants putting these tanks together at the factory, how hard can it be to do it yourself?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15543622#post15543622 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pufferpunk
I mean, it's just a bunch of illegal immigrants putting these tanks together at the factory, how hard can it be to do it yourself?

wow. really, I mean really.

What an asshat, jenni someone in your family was once an "illegal" immigrant........I guess when your just that uneducated you make statemens like that :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15543622#post15543622 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pufferpunk
I have resealed many tanks, including 125g. Just be sure to pull off all the old silicone, wipe it down with alcohol & reseal. I mean, it's just a bunch of illegal immigrants putting these tanks together at the factory, how hard can it be to do it yourself?

Haha.

I always had the fear of re-sealing a tank and coming home one day and find the front glass laying on the ground and the tank empty

from fishygill===> How does one get a nice looking seal? (straight edges?)

use masking tape and place it about 1/2 from the center (on each side) where the glass meet. then after you are done applying the caulk with you finger or thumb, just pull up the tape. works well when i caulk my tub, should work well for a tank too.

OMG, all the jokes around here about being Mexican & you guys cant take a lil chiding? Get some skin! It's true though... and all my family members came here legally.

Just like Harry said, a little masking tape and you'll get nice crisp lines... Make sure to dip your finger in water before pressing and smoothing the caulking, otherwise you'll be covered in silicone that won't want to come off... :D

use a very fine grit sand paper (on corners)and acetone to clean the corners. and blue masking tape. get a fan because all the fumes are going to choke you.

good point badazz, forgot about lickin the finger first... that is very important for a first class job...

how is someone's immigration status reflect on how easy it is to seal a fish tank?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15545769#post15545769 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by skunkmere
how is someone's immigration status reflect on how easy it is to seal a fish tank?

Move on, at most that was a shot at tank manufacturers. If you're looking for sympathy for criminals, you'll be deeply disappointed by appealing to me.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15545792#post15545792 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DgenR8
Move on, at most that was a shot at tank manufacturers. If you're looking for sympathy for criminals, you'll be deeply disappointed by appealing to me.
Exactly! I have nothing at all against foreign people, my family came from Europe.

When you reseal a tank are you just cutting the silicone from the face of the glass or are you physically pulling the edges away and removing ALL the silicone? I know silicone does not adhere well to itself, that's why i ask.

As for the comment. . . Lately threads have been shut down for less. Way less. Last time I checked America runs as far north as Canada & as far south as Brazil or Argentina. Only here does everyone refer to the US as Americans. Everywhere else in the world it's referred as the United States. Race is a touchy subject period. I wouldn't be able to joke with someone I don't know about them or their race without knowing them or their boundaries. But I guess we got the okay from our mod. So Open Season it is.

Yeah but my knuckles still scrape against the ground? :lol: I think skunkmere was referring to the fact that just because someone is illegal in this country or in any other country doesn't make them stupid or that whatever job they have is skill-less. Shame people still think like that.

Back