Anyone Still do Freshwater tanks?

Im Lon 2

Premium Member
Well, after 10 years in the hobby, I'm thinking about taking down my tank (180 gallon) and putting back up as freshwater. I'm a little spoiled to the natural look, from this hobby so I'm not sure where to start (It's been a long time), and what I can and cannot use/do. As far landscaping I'm think larger rock and maybe some driftwood, and lot of small fish (1-3")

Is there a good forum like this one for freshwater? Is there a good site to look at different tank setups?

Trust me.. I know.. It's going to be hard turn to take.. I just don't have the time anymore, and I don't want to take down all together. Plus for a few $100, I think I could make it great full of a ton of little fish.

Apparently a ton of people do freshwater. The majority of the items I have sold went to FW guys. Stay clear of planted tanks the maintenance worse than reef tanks. I was trimming 2x per week when dosing and running co2.

I recommend the little treasure chest with bubbles coming out of it. It looks awesome with the rainbow gravel.

I do have a FW african chiclid tank. its 225 gallons with about 30 fish in it. Clown loaches/yoyo loaches,couple bala sharks, african featherfin etc etc. I love the tank and the maintenance is very easy on it. Ive raised all the fish from very small,some of them are now 8 inches or so.

I do love the tank but I dunno if I would change my SW to FW. Like I said if you want easy you can just do a FOWLR tank and it will be very easy to maintain.

I do have a FW african chiclid tank. its 225 gallons with about 30 fish in it. Clown loaches/yoyo loaches,couple bala sharks, african featherfin etc etc. I love the tank and the maintenance is very easy on it. Ive raised all the fish from very small,some of them are now 8 inches or so.

I've seen this tank, and I Gota say its pretty cool. Post a pic Kego, its a FW Thread :D

I do love the tank but I dunno if I would change my SW to FW. Like I said if you want easy you can just do a FOWLR tank and it will be very easy to maintain.

Not true unless we see pictures.:spin1:

I recently started watching the board again because when I move my office upstairs, I'm going to do a 12 gallon ric or zoa tank so I'm catching up on what's new with LED lighting etc.

I've been running the 65 as a freshwater planted South American tetra/cichlid tank for 3 or 4 years now. I have 2 pendant LEDs (6500k) hanging from the ceiling (track light fixture) and a T5 with 2 full spectrum bulbs for some supplemental color. No CO2, just Flourite substrate a rock cliff and a piece of driftwood. There are 20 or so Neons, 15 or so Serpaes, 10 Head and Tail Lights and 5 or 6 Rams at the bottom. Top off right out of the faucet and use a Python for water changes when I remember every month or so. The only real maintenance is cleaning the glass.

Extremely relaxing to just watch it and not have to worry about Ph, alk, overflowing the RO/DI, etc. I'd take a picture but my son's Skylanders are all over in front of the tank. I'll try and clean up tomorrow and take a picture.

I have a 180 that used to be African tank buster cichlids but now is planted. I also have a 75 planted. FW is fun. :)

My wife just cleaned the basement while I was out with the Girl Scouts doing Operation Clean Stream so I'll clean the front glass and take some pictures.

Back