anyone use a SCWD?????

I've used them on a 220 and a 24 nano. On the 220 it was fantastic as the MAG on closed loop pushed enough force to make the current switch rapidly. On the nano, the pump wasn't strong enough to switch that fast, so the Hydor Flo make a better option for me on the 24.

I use my SCWD on my Mag 7, np complaints at all. I found mine for $20 Used shipped, worth every penny.

As I stated in the other thread, I'd go with a Hydor Flo instead. I also had a SCWD, but I think the Flo is a better way to go. It's definitely more random than the SCWD, especially if you have more than one.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9258428#post9258428 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BenjieC
As I stated in the other thread, I'd go with a Hydor Flo instead. I also had a SCWD, but I think the Flo is a better way to go. It's definitely more random than the SCWD, especially if you have more than one.
I agree for smaller tanks.

I took the SCWD out of 24 nano and put 2 Hydor's instead - the flow is much more random / less linear.

Regarding the SCWD vs. HydorFlo there are some obvious trade-offs.

I like the CL because it is less visually intrusive in the display and I don't have to worry about stray voltage or heat transfer. I use Penductors on my returns which are pointed at the glass and corners so I think the flow is wave-like and fairly non-laminar so long as you do not point the nozzles at your animals.

The dual Hydor Flo solution should be a lot less expensive than a CL and will create very random flow.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9258857#post9258857 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ppurcell
Regarding the SCWD vs. HydorFlo there are some obvious trade-offs.

I like the CL because it is less visually intrusive in the display

which is exactly why i want to do a closed loop with a SCWD. i can't stand looking at the pumps in my tank. they just take up too much space in a 20L. and even though the hydor flos work well (i had one in a nano cube a few years ago) i do not want them in my display either.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9258964#post9258964 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Naperville Reef
i can't stand looking at the pumps in my tank. they just take up too much space in a 20L.

The hydors are ugly, indeed. Sounds like you have your answer! The SCWD is a great unit.

Back