Anyone use an ORP meter and ozone? GFO/Carbon reactor?

SeaMonkey4

I received an ORP meter (Milwaukee SMS510) and a Red Sea Aquazone. It is just missing the probe. Before buying a probe I was wondering if this is something worth using.

Does anyone use this? Is it difficult? Easy? How does it benefit a saltwater tank? I tried reading up on this but I don't really understand it.

I also received BRS GFO and carbon but have not used them yet. Should I use these? This is what the person I bought the 58 gallon tank setup used in his BRS GFO/Carbon reactor. I purchased the pellet cartage from BRS and use the reactor with BRS pellets on the 75 gallon tank.

I have two tanks (not plumbed together at the moment but it is a possibility).

75 gallon saltwater with 30 gallon sump started 12/2011

48" Coralife 4 64 watt bulb compact fluorescent (2 10,000K + 2 actinic)
live rock, 1-2 inch sand bed
1 hippo tang, 2 goldstripe maroon clown, 1 yellow tang, 1 neon cleaner goby, 2 pajama cardinal, 2 starry blennies, 1 lawnmower blenny, 2 skunk cleaner shrimps, 1 peppermint shrimp
various snails and hermit crabs

salinity 1.025-1.026
pH 8.0 (used to be 8.2/8.4)
temp 77˚F
ammonia 0
nitrite 0

nitrate has always been an issue (I have multiple test kits and get different readings with each; RedSea between 32 and 64 ppm, salifert 100 ppm, a water test strip given to me by the company that maintains our RO system for the household drinking water 10 ppm, API 160 ppm)

phosphates have not been an issue until recent tank cleaning (storm when using a baster to clean out live rock)
was at 0.25 now between 0.36 and 0.64 (I hate these color charts)

added macro algae to sump 03/2012

started pellets in 05/2012; BRS

started vodka dosing 07/2012

58 gallon saltwater with 20 gallon sump started 05/2012

36" solar max 4 bulb HOT5 (2 10000K + 2 actinic)
3 amphiprion ocellaris clownfish, 3 verdi chromis,
4 peppermint shrimp, various snails, 4 hermit crabs

salinity 1.025
pH 8.0
temp 77˚F
ammonia 0
nitrite 0

Since I am confused about my nitrate reading, I plan on taking water samples and my test kits to That Fish Place, my LFS.

If you're going to run ozone, an ORP controller is a good safety net. Otherwise, I don't think measuring ORP is very useful on average.

FWIW, I have the ozone equipment but don't dose it. It will help with water clarity but that's not an issue for me. I do run gac and gfo along with vinegar and vodka dosing.

Back