Anyone use binoculars to view their tank?

Do you ever use binoculars to view your tank?

• Total voters

JohnL

RC Staff
Staff member
Admin
I have a lot of nano gobies in my nano tank. They hide a lot and when they come out they get spooked if I get close. I just started using binoculars to watch them from a distance.

Lol 😆

Attachments

• 20220418_115413.jpg
    20220418_115413.jpg
    625.9 KB · Views: 6
I would say so. Just not sure how effective it would be since yours swim away when the tank is approached

I think this qualifies as a gadget 😉 Where did you get them? (Asking for a friend).
I have always used them in my workplace. Donegan optical are the real brand. I bought these knockoffs on Amazon ( at a 1/4 the price) and I honestly see no difference from the Donegans except the lenses are plastic instead of glass. However I wouldn't be surprised if modern Donegans were plastic too. You get 4 different magnification lenses with them. Canadian Amazon link, so you'll have to find the equal on the US one.

https://www.amazon.ca/Yasumai-Head-...d=1650362403&sprefix=Donegan,aps,1448&sr=8-18

I have always used them in my workplace. Donegan optical are the real brand. I bought these knockoffs on Amazon ( at a 1/4 the price) and I honestly see no difference from the Donegans except the lenses are plastic instead of glass. However I wouldn't be surprised if modern Donegans were plastic too. You get 4 different magnification lenses with them. Canadian Amazon link, so you'll have to find the equal on the US one.

https://www.amazon.ca/Yasumai-Head-mounted-Headband-Magnifier-Magnifications/dp/B06Y66G3GH/ref=sr_1_18?crid=3EUTYPXBPDJBO&keywords=donegan+optical&qid=1650362403&sprefix=Donegan,aps,1448&sr=8-18
They don't look like they will fit over glasses. Or will they?

They don't look like they will fit over glasses. Or will they?
I believe they do. They are magnifiers with a short focal length so maybe you wouldn't need glasses when wearing them? I used to work with 30 guys all wearing these and I honestly can't remember if anyone wore glasses at the same time.

I have never considered using binoculars to view my tank but I keep a pair right on the picture window which is next to the tank. I am gonna try them, even though none of my fish are shy. Thanks for the tip.

Well, I tried it John but even sitting as far away from my tank as possible, my binoculars are too powerful to dial in that close. So it's a good thing that my fish are not shy!

My binoculars are perfect for looking at the wildlife in our backyard however, so it's all good.

Binoculars are a great idea! I used them in museums and cathedrals all the time when we used to venture out of the village. Being nearsighted (AKA "blind as a bat") just taking my glasses off and peering up close gave a magnifier effect for the tank.

Well, I tried it John but even sitting as far away from my tank as possible, my binoculars are too powerful to dial in that close. So it's a good thing that my fish are not shy!

My binoculars are perfect for looking at the wildlife in our backyard however, so it's all good.
I have a pair of 8x that are a little too close. I ordered a pair of 5x to try.

Fujifilm Glimpz Porro Prism Binocular, Black (5X21) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G50XF0U/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_Y1X9QPPZPN6F3B15KBE5

That means 7x magnification with 50 mm lenses. I'm hoping 5x are good for this. The one a linked to above is only $10 🤞
Hhmm, that sounds like a pretty good deal. I am the opposite of you as far as my sight goes. I can see well far away but not at all up close, without correction.

Back