Anyone use the Oddysea ADV Plus MH + T5 + LED?

FlyPenFly

SPS Killer
Been looking at this for a 60 gallon SPS cube build.

I'll be replacing the MH ballasts and all the bulbs of course.

I did want to know though if the LEDs can be used as a moonlight on a timer. I understand there's only 2 power cords coming out for MH and T5 according to the description.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300858171658?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

So I just want it to be completely automated. I want to turn on T5 at 9am, turn on MH at 11am, turn off MH at 6pm, turn off T5 at 7pm, leave LEDs always on.

I would not get them unless you do not care if your house burns down that is.

Odyssea / Aquatraders are know to cause fires.

I bought this exact model and have had zero problems with it. I changed out the bulbs which are CRAP and put in ATI bulbs. I also changed out the halide bulb to a Phoenix. It worked great for me for about 6 months and then I got on the bandwagon of these chinese Reefbreeder leds. I had it for sale with no takers here about a month ago. IM me if you are interested./

By the way the ballast never became hot , just warm to the touch.

LED's are not controlable- the line that feeds the t5's also feeds the leds. Just gave a new 48" unit away this weekend to a fellow reefer. Good light for the price, and you are already aware of the faulty equipment, so not much else to say.

Here we go again lol...

There is nothing wrong with these fixtures, they work and do the job. Not well, but they do it. You replace the ballasts and bulbs, in my mind, you would be better off getting a better fixture and avoid the hassle and time. Plus you are stuck with quality replacement ballasts and bulbs but stick with crappy reflectors?

On a budget they work great, but performance and quality wise, you can tell the difference between a quality product and an odyssea product.

and yes I have owned their products. I had their hob PS 75 skimmer (replaced the pump) and their 4x24w T5 fixture and CF fixtures. Their CF are garbage but the T5's are great. Good for on a budget and served me well as a backup as I waited for a better fixture.

So it doesn't seem like there is a way to automate it the way I want?

I don't care if the LEDs are on all the time, but I want it to be automated so that T5 and MH can go off but LEDs stay on without me doing anything.

Get a Current Outer Orbit fixture, you should be able to get one used pretty cheap. You'll have the buy/sell/trade forums pretty soon.

The Aquatraders fixtures have poor wiring as well that should be replaced along with the ballasts & bulbs.

I seem to only be able to find them with 2x 150 instead of 2x 250 on the MH side.

How easy would it be to upgrade it to 250w?

It can be done but there are 250w versions, they should have external ballasts which is much better than the 150w version.

I run the 72 in and have zero issues... I went to icecap ballasts Phoenix 14k and ati blue plus bulbs. I just used timers for my light schedule....t5 on then halide on then halide off then t5 off amd moonlights come on just before t5 go out

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I had that unit and it barely served its purpose. after about 6 months the halide ballast became real sketchy and sometimes would turn on right away and others would take a minute or more. absolutely replace the bulbs upon purchase because they suck real bad unless your trying to grow algae.
All in all the unit will light the tank for a fraction of the cost of higher end units.

What are the dimensions of your 60g cube? It isn't 48"...? :confused: 48x13x24 ?

Hah, sorry, I'm looking for new lighting for 2 tanks.

One is a 75 gallon and one is a 60 gallon cube. Apologies for the confusion.

I'm currently running a 27" Maxspect razor on the 75 and the 60 gallon is going up next week.

I run the 72 in and have zero issues... I went to icecap ballasts Phoenix 14k and ati blue plus bulbs. I just used timers for my light schedule....t5 on then halide on then halide off then t5 off amd moonlights come on just before t5 go out

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

How were you able to automate the moon lights? I thought the power was tied to the T5?

i have the 4X18w t5 and the leds are a seperate, smaller plug. i leave my leds on all the time and use 2 lamp timers for the t5s. i have ran this fixture for about a year with zero problems and have been happy with everything other than bulb selection (didnt want to go with a 24" fixture on a 10 gallon due to length). they are not the best fixture but they do the job. i am able to keep 2 RBTA in my 10 gallon and one is now about 12" in diameter. i now have the photon 24 reefbreeder for my 20g long upgrade but plan on keeping the t5 as a back up.

I have the 2 x 250w with 4x54w t5& moon LEDs. I swapped one external ballast for a select a watt & run the other factory ballast. Swapped all bulbs. Mine has 5 cords. 1 each halide, 1 for 2 t5s, 1 for other 2 t5s, 1 for LEDs, 1 for fans. 4 switches 1 for LEDs, 1 for fans, 1 for 2 t5s & 1 for the other t5s. Halides are fired when you fire the external ballasts obviously so those are on a regular wall timer. You can put everything on sperate timers, even split the t5s up. Great value. Also ordered the hanging kit that is really nice. 2nd oddysea fixture I've had. And I like them. I just can't bring myself to blow allot of money for some of these fixtures.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Back