anyone using the balling method?

AcroButcher

Howdy all,
i was wondering if anyone here was using the balling method? and also how efficient is it compared to a reactor? i want to try the balling method as i dont like the ph issues with reactors. but through reading some people are using 400+ml of solution a day. thats almost a gallon a week. doesnt seem very efficient in comparison to a reactor. whats everyones thought?

This is one of the reasons i went with a reactor. Im assuming you are using both a KH and CA reactor? If you set them up right, your PH should be pretty stable. Mine fluctuates from 8.0 to 8.3 every day, but thats pretty stable in my mind. I have been reading on the ZEOvit and BH products. They are very interesting.

Use the DIY additives. Very cheap. I used balling on my 120, then went to a reactor. I too was not fond of the Ph issues not to mention my bubble counter kept giving me problems. I since had a crash (NOT reactor related) and downgraded to a 50 breeder. Using the balling method once again and am very happy. I'm using 26ml per day alkalinity and CA and haven't zoned in my MG yet. Of course I realize this is a much smaller tank, but if you go with a good dosing pump such as a Litermeter, it will make it very easy to dose on a large tank. heck, I'm getting a Litermeter for my 50 soon. I figure when i upgrade in the future, I can use it on the bigger tank.
tom

A agree that the balling method works well, but when you have a larger tank and a higher bio load then its starts to become more involved, you need more solution. 400ml seems high to me, but depending on the load, not impossible. When i bought my reactor, i purchased a GEO and paid for a higher quality valve. I had read about many stories where the valve didnt function properly. I also use a controller to monitor the PH, so if the valve does stick, the CO2 is cut off. As for the PH, as long as it stays in the same range, and the corals are not showing any issues you should be fine.
Many reefers use the balling or 3 part solutions to keep great SPS tanks. I personally just like the reactor, once its dialed in, you pretty much forget about it.
I have a LMIII for dosing Kalk, its probably the best pump i have ever used.

Back