anyone with an outer orbit fixture, how can i fix this?

Yeah, you gotta figure these are shipped from China to SD, then shipped again to you.
There's bound to be some shipping issues, but fortunately they understand that and are cool about handling it.
I talked to the owner and asked about the 14k bulb, and he said that's been the more popular choice lately.
I should be getting my 14k's soon, let you know how it looks.
I'm also going to be checking out their brand new T5's that they're building right now(additional to my T5 MH combo) for additional light for my new 180.(I saw a pic and they look sweet!)
I'm pushing the reflector issue as well(they already changed the reflectors when they made the orbit, but I'm pushing for a more completely individual reflector for the new T5 unit)

The current light isn't loud at all, just a couple shipping issues.
One of the guys here got one w/ a broken bulb.

they actually have an issue with the panel that the switches and fan are on,they made the vent too restrictive. call current and they will send you a redesigned one. Talk to Ike in tech support

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9262728#post9262728 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vtrider
they actually have an issue with the panel that the switches and fan are on,they made the vent too restrictive.

i just found that out about 10 mins ago. i took the side panel off and removed the fan from the inside of the panel and it is almost totally silent. when i put it back in front of the vent the whinning noise starts again. the fan is so tight up against the vent that i can't tell if its rubbing or if,like you said, the actual vent is so restrictive the air being sucked through is actually making the noise. Did you actually get the new side panel for your fixture?

davocean, what 14K's are you going with? when you get them in your fixture would you mind posting some pics maybe just the mh's by themselves and then mh's with the t5s. i don't want to go to blue maybe just like a crisp whitish blue, if that makes since. i heard the 14k Pheonix have that type of color to them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9262728#post9262728 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vtrider
they actually have an issue with the panel that the switches and fan are on,they made the vent too restrictive. call current and they will send you a redesigned one. Talk to Ike in tech support

vtrider, thanks for the info. I too took out the fan found it to be real quite, and figured it was thier grill. I was ready to cut the that hole and place a grill from my CPU.
A second fan from them wouldn't be too bad though... :) :D

Champ, I had PEC 10000k,
http://www.peclamp.com/buymhblue.html
before I got the Current and comparing it to the current 100000k, it was lot whiter(no yellow) and the actinics really worked well with em.
I've also had Hammy 10000k, XM 14000k and Reeflux 10000k and out of all of em, I really like the PEC 10000k which looked like it was right in the middle of the Current 10000k and the XM 14000k

Last edited:
how hard would it be to place a second fan in the other end of the unit?

thanks darth i'll check into those bulbs some more. do you happen to have any pics of those over your tank.

Last edited:
my housemate uses one it's freaking loud

we're thinking of replacing the fan but it's such an annoyance to have to take the thing apart

Champ, on this thread(which you should join soon) you can see the the PEC on the first pic I posted.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=960605

105838381-M.jpg

This was with actinic on. No white balance on the shot so it's pretty much what it looked like.
Also, I would let the current bulb brn in for at least 75 hours as they do shift in color a bit.

It wouldn't be hard to put that second fan in the other side, just get two wires the leght of the case and splice it into the other fan wires. Than maybe you can get a dimmer and turn the fans down to lessen the noise.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9268145#post9268145 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lt. Hotpants
my housemate uses one it's freaking loud

we're thinking of replacing the fan but it's such an annoyance to have to take the thing apart

It's 8 screws to get to the fan. ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9274411#post9274411 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DarthBaiter
It's 8 screws to get to the fan. ;)

I'm his housemate and I am replacing the fan. I don't know what he's talking about :p

I'm really hoping the replacement fan will quiet down the system.

I'm also hoping to switch to a less yellow bulb but I'm not sure what to get.

After you take the screws out to remove the housing, you will need a needle nose pliers to take the fan off. It's held on by a nut and bolt, not a screw, so you were right, it is a hassle. I had to get up walk to my garage to get my needle nose. lol

i called ike in tech support today. it seems the redesigned side panels are for the sunpod units only. as i have the outer orbit fixture this doesn't help but he did say that he thought the fan was put in backwards and should be pulling hot air out not blowing cool air in so i reversed the fan and it worked, no whinning noise!!!!

darth...
It wouldn't be hard to put that second fan in the other side, just get two wires the leght of the case and splice it into the other fan wires.

Just did that this evening, worked perfect, and still more quiet with 2 fans!!! Not sure how to splice in the dimmer switch but maybe i'll try that if i have issues in the future.

Hello,

I just received my new 36" outer orbit pro last week, and yes the fan does make noise. I believe my fan may be in backwards also. When I hold a sheet of paper next to the fan opening the paper is sucked onto the fan opening. Is this the case with others that have this unit. From the above post tech support says that the fan should be blowing air out of the unit not pulling air in. Any help would be appreciated. I tried to email custumer support but have not heard from them in four days. On a better note I do like the fixture.

Dan

I believe my fan may be in backwards also. When I hold a sheet of paper next to the fan opening the paper is sucked onto the fan opening. Is this the case with others that have this unit.

Yes it is backwards. Open up the side panel(a few bolts)unmount the fan, flip it so the air is blowing out of your fixture. You should notice a big difference in the noise. I've also realized that the fans in both my ballast were loud so i flipped them as well, huge difference in noise level.

Thanks for the info...I will be changing the fan around tonight. I also found it interesting that you mentioned that the ballast's were also loud...so are mine. I will flip those around tonight also. Rather frustrating that I have had no reply from current concerning this issue.

No problem. Other than flipping the fans and maybe swapping out the 10k for some 14k bulbs the fixture is great. hope you like yours as well!!!

Well I just finished flipping the fans on both ballast's and the light itself...All I can say is wow what a difference. The flip took the high pitch sound right away. It was a very simple fix to the noise problem. On the basis of the fan noise being a 10 out of 10 the flip has lowered the noise level to a 3... It's a fan it is going to make some noise from moving air, but this is much better. Once again thanks for the info. And from the early looks I believe I will enjoy this light.

Back