Anyone with success stories removing Bubble algae?

ReefCowboy

Tiny bubble came with a coral a long time ago...since then ive seen it spread and the more i remove the more they come back.

The emerald crabs/desjardin tangs seem to be as true of a solution as garlic solving ich...

Wanting to hear from the ones that have used other/ efficient methods to erradicate this ugly pest. Its driving me nuts seen it spread around.

Thanks

manual removal and siphoning and lowering the nitrate level is the best solution i believe.

We all go through dealing with it.

If you're running a sump it's easy to just use a siphon hose to scrape it off and return the water through a fine net or a filter sock into the sump. You can attach a tool of some kind to the end of the siphon hose, a plastic fork or whatever suits you.

If you don't have a sump just repeatedly siphon into a bucket, filtering out the BA with a fine net and then pour the water back in.

Keeping it under control is an option. Eradicating it is a fool's errand.

We all go through dealing with it.

If you're running a sump it's easy to just use a siphon hose to scrape it off and return the water through a fine net or a filter sock into the sump. You can attach a tool of some kind to the end of the siphon hose, a plastic fork or whatever suits you.

If you don't have a sump just repeatedly siphon into a bucket, filtering out the BA with a fine net and then pour the water back in.

Keeping it under control is an option. Eradicating it is a fool's errand.

I hear that the issue with removing manualy is bursting the bubbles and getting the spores to spread everywhere...is that the case? Would an UV maybe help keep the spores under control?

I've never had it bad: usually comes and goes. Anything that eats it is going to send whatever mineral content it's using back to the tank...I'd try GFO, see if that works, try to get the tank to stabilize (my sig line has params that at least don't encourage it.) I trust you're using ro/di and that your rock is aged. How long since set-up? New-ish tank? If so, don't sweat it too much...most tanks go through a spate of it.

I've never had it bad: usually comes and goes. Anything that eats it is going to send whatever mineral content it's using back to the tank...I'd try GFO, see if that works, try to get the tank to stabilize (my sig line has params that at least don't encourage it.) I trust you're using ro/di and that your rock is aged. How long since set-up? New-ish tank? If so, don't sweat it too much...most tanks go through a spate of it.

Thanks for the help! All input here is very appreciated. The tank has been on for over a year, i run gfo, do 10 gal WC every week(65gal tank), since that is the practice ive always had with my previous sps tank. Its now an lps tank, and i use rodi that i check here and then showing zero tds....

I have no other pests in the tank, no other algae. Just the bubble. I just honestly hate the look of it and how it has been spreading. I wonder if i remove some spots it will eventualy keep itself controlled since some reefers mentioned it comes and goes?

Cover algae in epoxy and it can't burst and release spores.
Tuxedo urchins will tear it up and make it unhappy. Combine one with clean water, that should help a bit.
You can also try to just gently remove the large bubbles without popping them.

Don't be afraid of manual removal. I used a small flathead screwdriver while I siphon. It will take some persistence but it usually gets easier and easier with time.

Just curious I have a 300 tank that's been up and running for 17 years. I only have one rock that has like 10 bubbles on it. I tried the scrub method outside of the tank in a bucket of salt water and they still come back. What do you think if I pulled the rock out and pressured clean it?

Manual removal right before a water change has always worked for me. Popping them was of no concern.

A vlamingi tang works great for me. I did not purchase this fish though, given to me by a colleague. It was my 1st tang. The bubble algae covered most of my fake, fibreglass look alike live rock.

Without breaking down the tank, I don't think you will be able to eliminate it. To control it (as I do), a combination of gfo, manual removal, and a foxface will keep things in check.

Back