Anything other than sand??

bluetanggirl

Is there any other thing that i put replace my sand with to make it easier to clean. Also whenever I clean it i have to take some of the sand out and eventually i will run out. Plus the sand always looks dirty. Open to any suggestions??

you could go bare-bottom which is no sand at all. It's getting more common for several reasons including that one

Re: Anything other than sand??

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15122487#post15122487 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bluetanggirl
Is there any other thing that i put replace my sand with to make it easier to clean. Also whenever I clean it i have to take some of the sand out and eventually i will run out. Plus the sand always looks dirty. Open to any suggestions??

sand or argonite and how many inches of it?

I've found that if you use an inch of medium argonite and once a week lightly baste the surface of it with a turkey baster, it stays nice and clean and white

Re: Re: Anything other than sand??

Re: Re: Anything other than sand??

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15122989#post15122989 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
sand or argonite and how many inches of it?

I've found that if you use an inch of medium argonite and once a week lightly baste the surface of it with a turkey baster, it stays nice and clean and white

+1 capn.
That's the sand I use, and I hate dirty sand. Mine stays pretty nice.

Also, good flow and good skimming helps keep the sand white

I run just enough sand to cover the bottom of the tank.. I use the reef grade sand as it tends to stay put better that the Oolitoc. I vaccum my 1/'2 inch sand bed with just about every water change.

I have had those algea blennies before and they dont survive. I had one that recently died. I dont have a skimmer. It seems to me that my clean up crew do not do there job.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15124649#post15124649 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bluetanggirl
I have had those algea blennies before and they dont survive. I had one that recently died. I dont have a skimmer. It seems to me that my clean up crew do not do there job.

that's why we are suggesting you have to apply some turkey baster power Nicole;)

providing your flow is between 20-40 times your tank volume in gph--so it carries the debris ect away.

Back