anyway to dose activated carbon?

johnfallon135

long shot but i'm tired of using a reactor it would be nice if i could just possibly dose activated carbon are there any liquid forms of activated carbon?

Not a thing. Carbon works by absorbing organics into a crystalline structure, that can't be liquefied.

I'm using chemipure. It's activated carbon in a filter bag. Probably not as good as a reactor but it could help you get away from a reactor.

If you can create a way to slowly drop carbon into a filter bag so that you have a constant fresh source of carbon you might be on to something.

As already said it's not even a thing and physically couldn't be..

Imo carbon is just as effective in a filter bag.. I went all big and bad in my last build and had dual Mrc reactors ( gfo/carbon) and within 3 months I went back to just putting it ( carbon) into a bag in a high flow area like I have always done.. Been doing it for 18 years and will continue to do so.

Used the reactor for an add on chamber for my calcium reactor =)..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

If you can create a way to slowly drop carbon into a filter bag so that you have a constant fresh source of carbon you might be on to something.

Automatic fish feeder? More specifically, koi feeder. Ive seen where people use them to automate salt mixing.

As already said it's not even a thing and physically couldn't be..

Imo carbon is just as effective in a filter bag.. I went all big and bad in my last build and had dual Mrc reactors ( gfo/carbon) and within 3 months I went back to just putting it ( carbon) into a bag in a high flow area like I have always done.. Been doing it for 18 years and will continue to do so.

Used the reactor for an add on chamber for my calcium reactor =)..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Skip to 8 minutes
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UbLF1zgw8oQ

IME reactors have been 10x as effective as a filter bag

Skip to 8 minutes
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UbLF1zgw8oQ

IME reactors have been 10x as effective as a filter bag

Seen the videos and I still will say I (and I'm sure a lot of other reefers) haven't noticed a difference in MY tank at all and don't feel it's totally necessary to totally Polish with reactor day in day out but again thats just me. I personally don't run carbon 24/7 maybe 1 week a month if I needed, not saying I'm right or it's wrong just my opinion..

Possibly a reactor for a contaminant or medication but......

IME

Last edited:
In terms of doability, yeah it is possible. You can possibly make miniature travelator that has carbon on it and moves slowly. Water would constantly passes through (or drip onto) one section of travelator and as the travelator moves carbon that is in contact with water would slowly be replaced. Carbon at the end of the travelator can be dumped and new carbon can be added to the start of the travelator. The issue is this, this is not practical in terms of size and plumbing requirements.

Back