apartment aquarium

davidhughes85

I have a 55 im worried about its in my apartment on teh second floor and its slightly not level, I dont know if that is because of the carpet or is teh floor sinking? apartment floors have concrete under them right?

i have a 75 thats a little off in my second floor apartment and its fine also in my apartment is a 58 and a 120 gal tank just talk to the landlord and they will make sure its safe

yea the floor is off alittle but i talked to them and they said it was fine. how far off are you from level

not all apts have concrete floors. talk to your landlord, or better yet, ask him to talk to an engineer.

it would be a real bad way to wind up in court losing your shirt for not taking the time to make sure.

i just pulled up a corner of teh carpet and theres somekind of very hard white stuff underneath, feels liek concrete but i can gradually scrape it with my key..anyone know what this is? also theres another floor above me id think if the building can support another floor it could support a 55?

I wouldnt worry about a 55 gallon tank falling through the floor. my buddy has a entertainment center that weighs more than a 55 would and his stays put on the second floor.

Why would you be worried with wood floors boxfishpooalot? I have my 29 gallon in my apartment on the second floor and we have wood floors. Our floors are uneven to begin with so I had to use some shims underneath my stand to help level the aquarium but everything seems fine to me now. Should I be worried?

No, you should not be worried. Does the floor know the difference between 2 145lb people and a 290lb aquarium? Between 4 such people (which would weigh more) and a 550lb aquarium? Now ask yourself, could those people stand in a line indefinitely where you plan to put your aquarium? I rest my case. ;)

Both. ;) Growing up, in my 10x10 bedroom, I managed to cram, amongst other things, 2 55s, a 29, some 20s, 10s, and 5s, and a few smaller tanks. This house was OLD, well over 100 years, with no special construction, and had wood floors. Codes nowadays are more stringent and you must assume that codes in your area support human habitation of apartments such that 4 reasonably sized adults can sit on a couch without it falling through the floor (or in your case, two in a chair). ;)

that white stuff isnt concrete or anything, its prolly dura rock.. its stuff they put down before tile in bathrooms and to make it so its not just plywood and rots out. most appartment floors are 2x 10"s or 12"s.. and make sure you try to run your tank opposite to the way the beams are run, so you get it on like 5 of them instead of 1 or 2

come on guys. If you can put tanks in your house its the same for the apartment. I mean , it really doesnt matter if its a second floor. We are taliking about a 55 gal. if the tankl was biiger and a wood floor, and a lot of weight at the foor corners of the stand, then you should check to see if the plywood needs bracing.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7506813#post7506813 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Saltwater Kid
Why would you be worried with wood floors boxfishpooalot? I have my 29 gallon in my apartment on the second floor and we have wood floors. Our floors are uneven to begin with so I had to use some shims underneath my stand to help level the aquarium but everything seems fine to me now. Should I be worried?

I dont know, its just a fear of mine. I even worry about my cement floor caving in :lol: Im sure wood is fine.

Back