Apartment buildings vs. houses for SW tanks

I am thinking of putting a 150G (6x18) parallel with 16' span 2x10 joists 16" apart. The floor will not collapse, but it might cave in a little, right? Have anybody done something similar?

It is an apartment above a basement apartment.

Anybody with similar problems?

I live in an apartment on the secound floor, I checked with my landlord about having the tank (55gallon) up their and if everything would be ok, they said yes and just to report if any floods happen, right away to them to make sure damage is at minimum... I too was concerced about the weight of my tank... But everything has been fine and nothing bad has happened.

The only bad thing as many people have said above, I can't install a RO/DI unit, as it would be not good for the long run since I'm moving soon to a house, and I have to where to put a rubbermaid trash can except in my dining room when I was going to cure LR, and also use it for water changes, well that was a no go because of the smell and my wife didn't want to put up with with our 3 month old daughter...

Can't wait tell I move into our own house soon sometime this year well be able to upgrade to a larger tank and be able to have RO/DI water for many uses other than tank water...

I'm in an apt. with my 225 gal., 55 gal., and a few 10 gal. First floor right at 1400sf. I keep all my buckets and trash cans for water changes etc. in the storage outside and I mounted my RO/DI under my kitchen sink including the holding tank and I drilled the hole and installed the faucet for drinking water. :D Sometimes I think you do have to want it more.

I have often wondered the same. I am putting off getting my large tank for the exact reason. I can see where apartment would get made if something goes terribly wrong

You mean the wall of the room? No it's just 2x6 stud construction with drywall. Not very heavy duty. Does that answer your question? What else do you want to know?

Sorry, I meant the floor, how is constructed, how big is the room? What is supporting the tank? Is the tank parallel or perpendicular to the floor joists?

Well, like I say, I'm on the first floor, so the floor is concrete. But if you want a big tank on another floor that has joists, you would have to have it perpendicular to the joists. And as close to a weight bearing wall as possible. The room is about 20'x40'. Look in my gallery to see a couple of photos. But gimmie a couple of minutes to upload them. They are taken with my phone so they aren't the best, but they'll do.

I live in a very small apartment. i built a 48" long stand in my living room(carpeted) w/ a circular saw. my girlfriend had a virus at the time so i wasnt in her way... nor was she in any condition to speak up..haha

the rodi unit, i think, will go under the kitchen sink. a laundry room would be so much easier....

sadly im unable to get a bigger tank, i have 2 systems(still in the works) side by side in a corner; 60 gal combined and 40 gal combined; wish i could get something bigger....a house would make things a LOT easier. ......... ive had 2x4s and pvc pips in the living room corner for weeks.

I'm in a two bedroom with standard modern construction... wooden floor joists/etc. I placed my tank near what I think is a lead bearing wall. I've had it there for a year and never had a problem. No creaking, no cracking in the walls, nothing. I have a 65 gallon.

The way I deal with the thread of flooding is by not having enough water in the sump at any time to really do lots of damage. I have about 5 gallons of water in my sump. I also have two overflows, so if one clogs I have a backup. The 5 gallons of water will likely not overflow the tank in that situation. And when I turn the pump off, the backflow into the sump fills it about 2/3s.

It's best to set up the sump/tank like this when in an apartment.

Back