Apex Controller Advice

FranktheTankTx

I'm in planning stages for a comeback. Most the planning is easy because I kept my plans from my previous aquarium. However, I noticed aquarium controllers are updated.

Could someone with Apex experience & knowledge explain the difference between the Lite & Full package kit? I swear the only noticeable difference was 2 extra probes (ORP & Salinity).

In addition, do you like the Apex? Pros & Cons. Other suggestions?

Appreciate the help. I might be planning for a Black Friday splurge.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm also very curious on other thoughts of pro's con's of the full Apex vs the EL. The other difference I saw between the two was the EL lost the native 0-10volt controller but if you need that you could get it back with a VDM expansion module. I'm actually leaning towards an EL because I know I don't care about salinity and ORP (I think chasing either based off a probe is either problematic, not necessary, or both) and the only things I can think I'd want to control with the 0-10v is lights and pumps. On the light side it would be EcoTech but I can control them via native USB and IMO the lights are something you should set and forget so having them in front of you in the controller just begs you to tweak which has been proven time and again to be counterproductive and I prefer Tunze to MPx's for power heads and they also have their own controller so I don't need the Apex for that... I'm more interested in the Apex for the monitoring and control of the other thing parts, return pump, timers for other pumps, temp control, timer for fuge light etc and to be able to remotely check system status and power draw to monitor pump health.

What am I missing with regard to pros and cons?

The trick with that is though the two systems are $300 off and the VDM that gets you that back is $100... so it really seems like you're paying $200 for the ORP and Salinity monitoring and probes which is a little less than those probes cost granted that doesn't include the cost for the module to control those probes but if you don't need or care about those I think I'd rather spend the same $200 on the flow monitoring kit.

Yea, and the flow monitoring kit doesn't interest me personally. I'll be running VTechs.
So I'm already leaning towards the full version. Oh & getting the Display sounds cool too so when I'm sitting at my tank I can just glance & see readings.

How is the ATO kit?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you're running any of the EcoTech stuff you'll need the WXM module to get control of those other than on /off via the power bar.

The control / display info is the same on both models.

I've heard good things about their ATO but I don't have any experience with it, I've had the Tunze unit for years and it's been dead reliable.

Back