Apex controller and Basement Sump

Pokerman11

Setting up my first SPS tank. Right now looking into an Apex.

I run a basement pump room, where my fudge,sump,skimmer,ATO etc. DT is on the main floor about 14' up and 10'sideways.

I guess just plan on not using the Apex for DT tank stuff or is anybody running wires that far?

You certainly can run a USB cable that far (I think they say 100 foot max), I do. Most stuff that you want to control ends up in the sump room though.

I have my apex in the basement and then just put another energy bar under the dt. I think I used a 30 foot USB cable.

That's an easy issue to fix. All you need is a proper USB cable and any EB-8's/VDM's/etc placed in the room they are needed. I don't have mine set up that way yet, but that's only because I'm tearing my tank down today and moving it all to a Rubbermaid in the basement while carpet gets installed.

okay - running a USB cable is easy. Does the USB daisy chain? For example there are modules as well as a 2nd energy strip I want to run up by the DT - can I run one cable and they all will work off it?

Last edited:
A standard USB cable has a maximum usage length of 15 feet. Anything after that it has to be powered USB. Does it have to be USB or can you run Cat5e ethernet instead?

Look up usbfirewire.com they make USB wire just for apex, an I think they have 3 different lengths I order the 50 footer and it works great.

A standard USB cable has a maximum usage length of 15 feet. Anything after that it has to be powered USB. Does it have to be USB or can you run Cat5e ethernet instead?

Keep in mind, the bus used by Neptune is NOT actual USB. The only similarity between aquabus and USB is the connector types. You will have to see Neptune's distance rating. Cat 5e is for networking the apex, and would not work in place of a USB cable for connecting devices via aquabus. I beleive there are adapters/dongles that will allow you to send USB signals over cat 5, however I believe most if not all of these have built in repeaters, which IIRC, cannot be used with the aquabus.

Keep in mind, the bus used by Neptune is NOT actual USB. The only similarity between aquabus and USB is the connector types. You will have to see Neptune's distance rating. Cat 5e is for networking the apex, and would not work in place of a USB cable for connecting devices via aquabus. I beleive there are adapters/dongles that will allow you to send USB signals over cat 5, however I believe most if not all of these have built in repeaters, which IIRC, cannot be used with the aquabus.

The Apex uses what they call "Aquabus". They use USB cables, but they are not compatible with other USB devices due to the power they transmit through the cable.

Here's the Comprehensive Manual that can likely answer most of your questions.

I have a basement sump which is probably 14' away from my tank. (9' basement + 30"ish inches to the bottom of the stand.)

I have the EB8 in the basement along with the control center, probes, etc. So everything for the sump is of coarse, with the sump.

I bought a 15' USB cable on amazon, any USB cord will work that is a standard male to male end. Below is the exact cable I used. (They can not have any noise reduction or other things inline)

I ran that cable up through the floor/wall to an EB4. The EB4 has my mp40's and lights plugged into it.

From the EB4's aquabus (upstairs) I have the LSM and WXM module plugged into the EB4's aqua bus.

So to answer your question, they will all work with no problem.

link to the cable I personally usb (to get an idea)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MAZY6A/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Setting up my first SPS tank. Right now looking into an Apex.

I run a basement pump room, where my fudge,sump,skimmer,ATO etc. DT is on the main floor about 14' up and 10'sideways.

I guess just plan on not using the Apex for DT tank stuff or is anybody running wires that far?

I hope you can , I want to do the same!:hmm5:

Back