APEX Network Setup Question

Eric The Red

Hi, just rcvd my first AquaController. I have all the components plugged in but I'm a bit confused with how to network it. After reading the user manual I decided that i'd like to set it up manually so the IP address will be fixed and I will be able to change settings from my phone or from another location (pc) when I travel.

So, first question is in regards to this statement in the user guide, "Plug the included Ethernet cable into the port labeled Ethernet on the Apex Base
Module and into an available port on your Ethernet hub, switch or router." Ok, so I get how to plug an Ethernet cable into the Apex base, but I'm confused about what I'm supposed to plug the other end of the ethernet cable to. My router is 40 feet away so how am I supposed to plug the base into it?

Q) Do I just need to plug it in once in the beginning for setup purposes or is it supposed to stay plugged into the network continuously?

I guess I'm unsure if the base needs to stay connected via the ethernet to my network or if this only gets done during the initial setup and then the base is wirelessly connected to my router?

On the ethernet cable length: Either buy a longer cable :), or temporarily take your controller into where your router is.

The controller will operate without an internet connection. You technically only need it to be connected to occasionally update your firmware. ...BUT, if you do not have your controller connected to your router all the time, you will have to always use the Display to program and operate your controller (which is fine for things like initiating a feed cycle, but a pain in the you know what for any amount of interaction like programming) AND you will not be able to use Apex Fusion if you're interested in that.

OTOH, if you maintain an internet connection, you can use the web interface to the native/classic interface for programming and/or control, as well as use the iOS or Android apps to do the same. You can additionally then use Apex Fusion any time you want.

...and yes, once you do the firmware update (which must never be done wirelessly), you could connect your controller up wirelessly back to the internet. No problem. Lots of people do it. THIS sticky will help with pointers to info on network connectivity. THIS sticky provides some good points when you want to add wireless.

Thank you very much for the quick and thorough response. As a neophyte, I think I'm following you. So basically, the Apex system itself is not wireless and it appears simple to buy a gaming adapter as described in the sticky to keep it wirelessly connected.

Q) Do I need to update firmware right out of the box?
Q) Where do I find the most up to date firmware?

Q) Instead of connecting the ethernet cable from the Apex base to my router, can I connect it to the ehternet port on my laptop that is wirelessly connected to my router?

The Apex is not wireless. You will need to use a wireless gaming adapter do avoid running a network cable. I much prefer a network cable as it is much more reliable and easy to setup. If you can run a cable, I would suggest doing so although many members go the wireless route. That said, any firmware updates should be done over a wired network connection and not over wireless.

Firmware updates can be downloaded here:
http://www.neptunesystems.com/support/sw-updates/

It is always a good idea to update the firmware but make sure you read the instructions thoroughly before doing so. It is a two step process. You update the firmware first then you update the www files. All of that is covered in the instructions. There is a firmware update utility included with the firmware download.

You cannot run the Apex plugged into your laptop via proxy. It will need a dedicated connection to your network.

Before you go any further, you should download this manual and spend some time familiarizing yourself with the Apex. This manual will answer most questions that will arrise.
http://www.neptunesystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Comprehensive-Reference-Manual-.pdf

Thanks. I ran through the manual and my head is ready to explode. This is a lot of information especially for a person who is not very tech savvy.

Try the stickies I referenced above to get you going with just networking first if that's what you want to do first -- then you can play with programming afterwards. Otherwise...

As slief suggests, the CRM is the best place for "comprehensive" info. On it's first read, your head can spin if your non-technical or don't use it to first think of the possibilities, then prioritize what you want to accomplish, then take things step-by-step. It's not so bad that way.

I started with networking suggestions, since that was the focus of your post. OTOH, if you just want to get going with your Apex and you're not tech savy as you say, using Fusion may be a good thing for you -- it has the most hand-holding to get you started with wizards and programming. It's Quick Start Guide is HERE. Another approach is this THIS Get Started Site which allows you to point and click at the hardware you just purchased, and it will guide you through the basics of setting it up. You can always then come back and get network access, set up Fusion, or create more complex programming later on.

It's your choice which direction you want to head, but my suggestion once again is, prioritize what you think you'd like to accomplish, do something, see it working, then do something else, and soon enough, you'll become addicted to tweaking your setup as you learn.

Back