Apples and Oranges? Vortech vs. Tunze Wave Box

Paradiddle7

Can anyone with experience with both the Tunze Wave Box and the vortech pumps please help me compare these 2 methods of producing flow and water movement?

:wavehand: Hi Gary!

Capt_Cully

posted in both threads

posted in both threads

The bag of apples and oranges are open now Gary. I personally wouldn't use a wavebox. I just don't like the flow pattern. I'm sure they provide adequate growth. Mark Klier's SPS tank would be proof of that. It's just the regularity of the pattern that seem's mundane to me. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth...boring IMO.

I helped set up the 2 vortecs in ABC's main display 180. When they were set on opposing reef crest mode the flow was chaotic to say the least. Just watching the surface of the water as they ramped up and down randomly was proof to me that I would not eventually want one, but that I would NEED one at some point.

need more input

need more input

unless you want to do a search (which I suggest doing anyways!)

You couldn't force me to use a wavebox.
OTOH I'm lusting after the full Vortech system- two newer gen MP40's and their battery backup.

Paradiddle7

I like the back and forth pattern. To me, that's how everything looks when I'm snorkeling. I have a Tunze on a WavySea that rotates back and forth in one corner of my 90 and my return on the other corner. I'm hoping the wavebox (I ordered a nano, so it won't take up too much space) coupled with the random flow of the tunze will still give me back and forth AND random flow patters. I'm just wondering if the wavebox's displacement is isolated from the laminar flow of the tunze.

Paradiddle7

Oh, there are ways to use force my friend :uzi: :spin1:

Why do you dislike the wavebox? Have you tried it?

I like the vortechs but since I already dumped almost $600 into my tunze with wavysea, I don't want to spend $900 on 2 vortechs, the controller, and the battery backup (yet, haha). I'll try the wavebox and if I don't like it, I will sell everything and get the vortechs.

I am a little worried about sound with the vortechs. I'm not sure if it's an alignment issue or if they truly are noisy, even when aligned properly.

unless you want to do a search (which I suggest doing anyways!)

You couldn't force me to use a wavebox.
OTOH I'm lusting after the full Vortech system- two newer gen MP40's and their battery backup.

I like the back and forth pattern. To me, that's how everything looks when I'm snorkeling.
where do you snorkel... lake Erie? :)

You've heard it before: you want to create a gyre. A good gyre will create it's own random water flow.
I think the wavebox will be an excellent addition to your Tunze Stream (?).
As you might already know from reading in the Tunze Forum on RC the wavebox alone (without additional flow devices) probably isn't the best choice for water motion.

Of course, if you want to grow Xenia and Kenya Tree this all probably doesn't matter but (IMO/IME) Acropora grown in a wavebox (back and forth) aquarium take on a straggly growth form and I find the rocking motion very irritating to both myself and fishes.

nwrogers

Got gorgs?
The Tunze Wavebox is a cool effect but it is not required and IMO is more for visual affect than for coral growth or health. The Vortech works by creating laminar flow that is random and chaotic. IMO that is a much more useful type of flow than anything that the Tunze Wavebox is going to give you. I just picked up the Hydor Wave Maker 2 with 2 K4's and it is very similar to the Vortech in the type of flow you can create with it. I have played with vortech pumps in my tank and in other peoples tanks and I would they are nice pumps. Here is a really great article about water flow in aquariums...

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature

Paradiddle7

I'm simply using the wavebox for motion and I'm not keeping any sps in my tank. I'm going for motion with softies and lps. I will have the wave action turned down using the photo-sensor at night so my fish can get some rest, or I'll even program my controller to turn off the wave action altogether.

Thanks for the link to that article.