Applications of Sand in Reef Aquariums

nrehman

Premium Member
Hi Eric,

Thanks for a very interesting article. Based on your testing and experience, what are your thoughts on the "re-use" of sand from old to new aquariums. The main concern here is that the sandbeds will be a source of nutrient poisoning in the new aquarium. I might have read this incorrectly, but reading the article, it seems that sand beds do not contain sufficient absorbed phosphates/nitrates/nitrites to be a danger to the new tank (resulting in a sudden turn for the worse for water parameters).

So, should it be possible to re-use sand from 1-3 year old aquariums without creating problems in the future.

Thanks.
Nadir

Can someone reword his summery, I couldn't grasp it. I'm a bit "slow of thought" I guess.

Aragonite vs calcite

Aragonite vs calcite

Hi Eric,

did you test on differences between aragonite and calcite calcium carbonate forms?

I red many times about aragonite dissolving in a much higher pH range compared to calcite, something like >8 for aragonite and <7 for calcite.

Sergioc.

Rewording original message:

I am looking at re-using "live" sand from older (1-3 years) aquarium when setting up my larger aquarium. Are there any negative issues to using old aquarium sand beds (or do these sand beds absorbed chemicals resulting in future tank crashes, etc.)? Should I just skim off the top 1" of the sand bed and chuck the rest?

Thanks.

Kent: In a nutshell: What he is essentially stating is that a sand bed will not be able to provide enough Ca++ or Alk to corals & other organisms that need these substances to lay down a calcium matrix (read grow). The sand bed is also not a source of nutients to the tank water. Hence, we as aquarist need to supplement with Ca++ & Alk and feed our tanks.

Question for Eric: Given this preliminary data does it really make any difference what the sand bed is composed of in order to function? In other words, can one use a sugar fine DSB composed of inert material and get the same benefits as let's say Aragonite sand? Can an inert substrate support the same biota? Just curious? Thanks, Steve :)

Please correct me if I am mistaken.

I seem to remember reading a long time ago on the original Jaubert/Monaco plenum system that he was using NSW on a regular basis in his systems.
This would certainly have influenced the results.

For those who wants to re-use their sand ... Just to share ... When I shifted my tank, I had to remove the DSB and re-install it again. As the sand was EXTREMELY dirty, I washed it using tank water. After few months, I quickly had severe hydrogen sulphite buildup!!! It soon spread to about > 50% of my tank, and I knew my sand bed CRASHED even before it had time to mature!!!!

I was forced to tear down the entire tank AGAIN, and went bare bottom instead.

My advice, save yourselves the trouble, and use new sand!!!! You could use your old sandbed to seed the new sand.

Guys Besides the release of calcium this is what you need to focus on,

"Similarly, the nitrogen and phosphorus dynamics of carbonate sediments explained in the studies above echo the experiences of many reef aquarists, me included, that sand beds do not, under normal conditions, become a nutrient source to tank water. The likely and most parsimonious explanation for those who do not find sand beds to be a long-term sink for nitrogen and phosphorus is probably the lack of biological mediation by sediment associated microalgae, macroalgae and herbivory."

Ok I'm gonna break it down slowly. Sand beds do NOT seep nutrients back in to the water, under NORMAL conditions. Then he's saying that those who think otherwise (i.e. people who do believe that dsb's are bad) believe, or have experienced that because of the lack of "microalgae, macroalgae and herbivory" to counter the trace amounts released.

Most interesting is the fact that Anoxic zones (VERY low in oxygen DSB this is after the anaerobic stage) actually hold in and do not slowly release nutrients back in to the water. This is contrary to other books I've read but makes good sense. From what I understood the Jaubert method (which avoids or impairs zones from becoming anoxic) then is actually inferior to a DSB.

I hope this is not only understandable now but also the correct understanding. Please correct me if I made a mistake in there Eric :).

A whole new light for us BB boys.

"From what I understood the Jaubert method (which avoids or impairs zones from becoming anoxic) then is actually inferior to a DSB."

Errr ... I know you tried to break it down slowly. Sorry, but I didn't quite get it ... can you please explain the above again???
:confused:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9180421#post9180421 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefDiver

Question for Eric: Given this preliminary data does it really make any difference what the sand bed is composed of in order to function? In other words, can one use a sugar fine DSB composed of inert material and get the same benefits as let's say Aragonite sand? Can an inert substrate support the same biota? Just curious? Thanks, Steve :)

I would also like to know the answer to this.

Are the supposed benefits of aragonite (buffering, calcium etc.) really significant in our systems, or is it just extremely good marketing that has fooled all of us.

Is aragonite worth the money we pay for it??

Clinton

I agree ... think about it, the material in no way contributes to the filtering capability, and the amount of elements released is too small to be of any use!!

Take calcium for example ... there was a study where a reef tank of 1m sq needs > 10kg of calcium per month or year (can't remember). For a large tank, it will be about 1 kg of calcium. If our sand CAN provide enough calcium, imagine how much sand needs to be dissolved!!!

To add salt to the wound, the rate the sand "dissolve" is too slow to be of any significant use, but fast enough to reduce in depth over several years. Which in some cases, new sand needs to be top-up!!!

However, material may contribute to other things outside of filtering and buffering which I am not aware of ... as with other things in reef tanks, there are too many unknowns to be 100% certain!!! ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9401628#post9401628 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chevegan
I don't get it. I thought if we had questions we should post them here? What's the deal lol

Errrr ... were you referring to my previous post?? :confused:

I hope I did not offend you in any way. Actually, I re-read my post, and the only thing I noticed was that I used too many "!" :D So, I'm really confused regarding your remark.

What I post is purely my opinion, which I advice everyone to read with a grain of salt. And, I totally respect all advice and post on this great site!!!

So, again, please do not misunderstand my post as offensive ... just my humble opinions!!! Opppsss ... more "!!!" :rollface:

Goodreef I think Chevegan was referring to Eric ;)

I have always suspected that the advertised/claimed dissolution and release of beneficial elements such as calcium, alkalinity, strontium etc. by companies like Carib-sea are merely good advertising ploys. I say good advertising and not false advertising because some of these processes do indeed happen, unfortunately it is so small as to be of no real benefit to the aquariums water parameters. I guess I should rather have said, misleading advertising.
I actually do still like to use Carib-sea’s Aragamax substrate, but this is purely because of the very fine (0.3mm) grain size which I feel is best for DSB’s

(Hi palmerc, it’s Millepora from SARK)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9405719#post9405719 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by goodreef
PHEW!!! Now I can sleep better, and use my "!!!" :D

Thanks!!!

Yep I was talking to eric

Re: Aragonite vs calcite

Re: Aragonite vs calcite

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9170834#post9170834 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sergioc

I red many times about aragonite dissolving in a much higher pH range compared to calcite, something like >8 for aragonite and <7 for calcite.

Sergioc.

Sergio,

Aragonite begins to dissolve at a pH of 7.7 and below. Calcite begins to dissolve at a pH of 7.4 and below.

:D

Back