Aptasia and Majano infestation

Dustin2

I have a bad infestation of both of these and it has gotten to the point of them starting to kill stuff. I need to get rid of them and i am open to ideas.. There are to many to kill them by hand with joes juice or whatever.

not sure what all is in your tank but..... butterfly fish. they may find some corals tasty though as well which could prove to be a problem after the aptasia is gone.

Either a CBB or a bergia nudibranch is really the best option. I have tried every other method and until I got a CBB I couldn't get the problem under control. Unfortunately my CBB only lasted about a year and now I am going to go the bergia route because those little buggers are starting to pop back up.

Are there any particular butterflys you guys had in mind i read possibly a kleins

copperbands are what a lot of people use for aptaia speciffically but i think that is generally because they are ok to house in a reef. I have had both double saddleback and and raccoons and have never seen a sign of aptasia in my tanks. Most butterflys are know for eating nems so just about any of them should work.

Yes my Copperband virtually cleared the tank but sadly fell prey to a hungry atlantic anemone, so I was surprised to find a recently acquired Longfin Bannerfish
Heniochus acuminatus actively demolishing every apitasia it could find. Much hardier than the copperbands and less of a fickle feeder. No problems with the Bannerfish with my corals (mixed softies and lps) apart from its taste for candy-canes!

I have a bad infestation of both of these and it has gotten to the point of them starting to kill stuff. I need to get rid of them and i am open to ideas.. There are to many to kill them by hand with joes juice or whatever.

Klein's Butterflyfish gets my vote.

Feed the fish heavily or trap it out once anemones are under control.

If you can find a copperband butterfly that's eating frozen mysis or something at a LFS I'd give that a shot. I picked up a copperband to deal with my aiptasia and within a couple weeks it was spotless. Great fish - although it might take the copperband a week to figure out he likes aiptasia. :)

it won't take a Klein's but 5 seconds to figure it out AND the species is much hardier than Chelmon rostratus

-also-

Klein's is much much more likely to take Majano than a CBB

Control your nutrients, after you figure out your nutrient, i.e feeding, flow, filtration. The next step is thinking about re-aquascape. Aiptasia product is very effective, Majano you have to remove the rock and use twizzer to squeeze them out, not hard. Don't use any product on Majano they will bloom in your tank.

If your tank isn't too established, you could move everything to a temp. tank and do a muratic acid wash with the rock. You'll have to re-cycle your tank, but they will be gone for good. On the other side, A guy I know used a raccoon butterfly to eliminate both but when the fish died they came back worse and killed off a lot of colonies from stings. Just my two cents.

I have been recently battling an aptasia problem but recently bought a filefish and have noticed that the population has gone down tremendously except for a few big ones that I plan to get with kalk paste. I would recommend a filefish to take care of your issue

Back