aptasia running a muck in my puffer tank!

bulletcon

Hi eveyone..Im currently running a 40g breeder tank with 2 medium size porcupine puffers..Inside the tank however, is a massive ammount of red aptasia and its still spreading..since i cannot get any shrimp to fix this and heard too many bad things about "Joes Juice", I have no idea for a solution..any help?

Snausy

Ok then, let me say I have the same problem in my 100g with just one juv. dogface and some other fish. What can puffer-owners do about aptasia because nudibranchs won't work(gummy slugs for the puffer, Tusk, etc). Shrimp are what I feed my puffer everyday so that isn't happening. My rocks are getting covered by these things and all the good options I know about aren't possible.

I heard about butterfly fish eating them perhaps? My tank is pretty nice, for an aggressive tank anyway, maybe I could try one?

What are my options?

jeffryjb

Use a needle to inject them with very hot water, or I think I've heard injecting with lemon juice also works.

vamaro

Aptasia X - This stuff works instantly! No impact to my fish or corals because you are only shooting the actual aptesia.

It comes with a needle. You get about an inch or so away from the aptasia with the needle and spray the aptasia slowly. Within miniutes, it is dead and done. Since you have a lot of them, it may take you some time to get rid of all of them.

Copperband Butterfly works too, you may need to do both.

predator 1

Copperbands are the most effective and natural method of Aptasia removal in my opinion. It is a real treat watching them work. Once they have cleared the Aptasia, they enjoy eating mysis and brine shrimp.

Boiling water worked for me. Use a syringe and release the water right at the base. My aptasia was gone within a couple weeks.

KMP

Wag More; Bark Less
aptasia x is expensive - tried it; they came back. i use vinegar now but don't do to much as i've been told that can drop your ph. so far, no problems and it's worked as good as the aptasia x - better? press is still out.

rssjsb

Not recommending this necessarily, but when I treated my puffer tank with quinine sulfate, it killed off a forest of aiptasia.

Woodbutcher

Copperbands are the most effective and natural method of Aptasia removal in my opinion. It is a real treat watching them work. Once they have cleared the Aptasia, they enjoy eating mysis and brine shrimp.

+1 For a copperband butterfly, I used one in my 90g Softy Reef after using Redsea's Aptasia treatment (way to much work for a fat lazy old guy).

However after clearing up the aptasia it started to nip tankmates, so I moved it to the 240g puffer tank seems to get along with everbody in there.

Last edited:

Jhutto

I use a paste of mrs Wages' pickling lime. Use a sringe to put it on with power heads off and suck it out as needed and turn power head back on.