aqua c ev 120 protein skimmer

cuda70bill

Since I am new this hobby on somewhat limited funds, I might be able to snag this skimmer [ aqua c ev 120 protein skimmer ] for a 120 bucks with pump and waste collector but not to sure of its rep, I have a 90 reef that I am doing looking for a good skimmer to start off with any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
years ago i used the skimmer on a 55 and it was ok. The injection system is different from other skimmer designs. It does have a bit of finicky nature to it (hands in the tank will stop skimming) and tuning it is a pain.

price sounds reasonable but if you're going heavy fish in the 90 - it may be undersized.

But it's compact design is great for tight areas under the sump.

I have the exact same set up on my 90g. Are you planning on running it in sump or out? I'm asking so you make sure the footprint will fit in your sump. anyway, I'm happy with mine.

I have an EV-180 on my 110 gal/55 sump and I'm happy with it. Maybe not the best skimmer out there, but very good for the money IMO.

I run one as well, and although they are finicky, I find it to be a great skimmer. I run mine on my 72 and I carbon dose, so it really has a lot of work to do. I would go for it, $120 is a good price. I run a mag7 on mine and wouldn't go any smaller so make sure the pump your getting is pushing at least 700 gph. Also i've noticed they tend to skim a lot dryer than wet. If your the type of person who likes that lime green watery skimmate this probably isn't the one for you. Everytime i've tried to adjust it to skim a little wetter, it just overflows until I set it back to its good ol' faithful settings. And ooonnne more thing, if yours comes with the hole for ozone (right beside the air intake) make sure you plug it up if your not running ozone. If you don't it will just pull air as if the intake was fully open and you won't be as happy with the results.

Thanks for the input, I am picking it up on Saturday,it does have a 600gph pump that comes with it, I know a mag 7 is better to overdrive it. I don't plan on alot of fish, more on corals and it will be sitting in my refugium which is 36x12x12, like I said its all new to me but you gotta start somewhere. The tank is drivin by a mag 12, and I think I am going with a wavemaster and to maxi-jets 1200

You won't be unsatisfied with the purchase. I got mine for the same price and I felt like I got a great deal! They are well built skimmers, and you get used to the finickiness. As I mentioned earlier the only really annoying this is how every time your hand is in the water or you feed the fish the foam towards breaks and doesn't build back up for a couple hours.

I LOVE my injection skimmer. I have the aqua C Remora skimmer. Be sure to get the bubble trapper with it, you'll love it too. It never needs adjusting, it always produces a lot of foam in the column; what you tweak is the collection cup (up or down) with simple o-ring. Its awesomely simple, and incribly effective. You can collect extremely concentrated muck, or think goo; its easy to modify. I have a venturi skimmer on my refugee tank; I can't stand it honestly, it won't work unless it produces too many bubbles.

well I got my skimmer with pump and waste cup for a 100 bucks and picked up a artica chiller 1/5 with a 900 pump for 75 dollars from a guy who wants to help people like me to get a good start on their tanks, plus he sells some nice frags, it's nice to know that there are still good people willing to help and not take advantage of the lessknowledge of the hobby

Awesome deals you got. I have one too and I love it. I run it on a 120 but I also have a Remora running on it too.

I have one 1 month ago. I have read lots of good reviews but i am not having any luck with it. No skimming for the past 2 weeks. When i first installed it took around 7 days before started to skimm something. For some reason that i cant explain is been 2 weeks and i get nothing at all. I have talk to steave from aquaC great customer service and he is trying to help me but he is as puzzle as i am on why is not working. Have a Mag 7 everthing is all open and no skimm at all. If any one have any suggestions please help...

Thanks

Back