Aqua Illumination and Profilux Controller – Tutorial/Review

cerreta

Premium Member
I have been asked by several RC reefers to post my current settings of the Profilux controller. In this documented tutorial screenshots have been provided of current settings. I will describe each screen shot and some of the functions in use. A You Tube Video is also in the works and should appear linked to this thread as soon as it’s available. I hope to initiate a discussion about these two devices.

Many people browsing this tutorial probably do not own a Profilux controller or Aqua Illumination LED module. Be forewarned, you may get the impression that these companies paid me lots of money to write this tutorial. I wish that were true, :lol: but I am sad to report that I am just a hobbyist that likes to share information and experiences. My intent with this tutorial/review is to reach two audiences: Those considering the purchase of either an AI light or Profilux controller. The other is those reefers, who own an AI light, or a Profilux controller, but not both. These two devices simply belong together. If you already own one of them, you are REALLY missing out on a unique experience.

I am known to be very wordy with my reviews and tutorials. So if you want the direct conclusion now. GO BUY THE AI module and Profilux Controller, RIGHT NOW!!!

If you choose to read on, try not to doze. :lol:

The objectives of this tutorial are to add practical information about the controller and actual effects. Hey, if you are thinking about buying one of these, then you have probably already been on the Profilux forum page asking questions, or on their website downloading the manuals and reading everything page by page. I did that for about three weeks before buying the Profilux. Point is, that manual is written by Europeans :confused: and you think I am wordy. :rolleyes: Furthermore, manuals do not provide real life scenarios or observations.
OBJECTIVES:
1. Describe the system and equipment in use . . . da Artsy Cube
2. Describe the functions and limitations of the Aqua Illumination LED module
3. Describe the functions of the highly advanced Profilux Controller
4. Discuss how the equipment behaves based on current settings â€"œ Screen Shots
5. Initiate discussion about these two devices. If you have specific scenarios you wish to try, ask and I will try it out and provide feedback.

OBJECTIVE 1: EQUIPMENT OVERVIEW
You can read the full description and build thread of . . . da Artsy Cube, by clicking on this link:

Essentially, this is a custom built nano tank designed to be a work of art. Geometric shapes were the theme. Since this is as much a piece of art as it is an aquarium, one absolute priority is to use the most advanced pieces of technology available and hide everything. No wires or pumps are visible.

The integrated sump is 4 inches taller than the main body of water. In here is a standpipe, only it is not used to drain water. The pipe rises above the water surface. Therefore, it connects air above the water surface to air below the tank. This is where all the cables, probes, etc go. Pretty cool huh. Tons of photos can be seen in the build thread.

CIRCULATION provided by 2 Tunze Nano Stream 6055 controllable pumps. They operate in wave box mode. I do not use Tunze wave boxes. The internal sump is designed to be that box. Pumps are located in the two bottom holes. The three upper holes act as intake. Tunze screens are used to keep fish out of the sump, while providing aesthetics.

LEVEL CONTROL provided by Profilux standard float valve and float hanging system. ATO pump is an Eheim 1060 (I think).

SKIMMER provided by Tunze Nano Skimmer with custom built StevieT collection cup

HEATER provided by stainless steel immersion heater controlled by Profilux

LIGHTING provided by Aqua Illumination LED module

CONTROLLER provided by Profilux Plus II Beginner with USB module, Tunze cables, level float switch and holder, pH probe, and temperature probe.

OBJECTIVE 2: AQUA ILLUMINATION LIMITATIONS
The major limitation with the AI LED system is the standard controller. Quite frankly, it is lame! The AI controller is too basic to really appreciate LED technology. That is sole purpose of this review/tutorial.
The AI controller provides sunrise, sunset, and lunar control. That’s about it. In 2002 I owned a SOLAR 1000 light dimmer (cost about the same as a Profilux ha!), with VHO lamps and an IceCap ballast. It provided those dimming capabilities. Currently on the market today you can find dimmable T5 and MH systems that offer the basic sunrise and sunset operation. Add a lunar LED and you got a nice little system.
If you own an AI system (like I did for 4 months) without a Profilux controller, you own a very expensive NEW technology and guess what, you are wasting it! Sure, it produces very low heat. Sure, it consumes less energy. Sure, you don’t need to replace lamps once a year. Sure, you don’t need to purchase a chiller. But, you are missing out on an experience like no other technology in the aquarium industry can match. The ability to manipulate the hell out of this lighting system, silently!
Replace that lame AI controller and you will unleash the beast within that LED system. Imagine having clouds pass over your reef. What about the occasional rainy days, and lightning storms? You can have it with a Profilux. You also earn the ability to set multiple lighting periods throughout the photoperiod. A major drawback that other lighting systems (and the AI with a standard controller) have is that you can set sunrise and sunset, but the rest of the day your lights shine at 100%. In nature, the light intensity changes throughout the day. The Profilux delivers. My reef gets a nice sunrise, then from sunrise to noon, the lights increase to maximum intensity. Then, just like in nature, the light intensity gradually decreases until sunset. So does my reef. It is way cool. And, with cloud probability, storms, and rainy days. . . everyday is different!

OBJECTIVE 3 and 4 FUNCTION AND BEHAVIOR OF AI / PROFILUX MARRIAGE

6 â€"œ General
Set clock, location, and alarm options
Profiluxscreenshots006.jpg

7 - Illumination I
AI White LEDs connected to channel 1. Profilux permits up to 8 dimmable points per channel. Here you can see 7 dimmable points selected. White lights produce most of the PAR for AI. Each array has 3 LEDs, 2 white and 1 blue. 16 arrays total. White lights gradually increase from sunrise to noon. Then, they decrease intensity until sunset. This creates a natural effect. Only LED technology is capable of such a complex photoperiod.
Profiluxscreenshots007.jpg

11 - Illumination II
AI Blue LEDs connected to channel 2. A major advantage of LED technology is that one light system can meet all your aquarium needs including lunar cycles. Other systems usually require a combination of MH, T5 actinics, and LED lunar lights for moon cycle. The AI system does it all.
The Blue LEDs provide lunar light with max of 8% during the night. Intensity is dependant upon the lunar cycle. Therefore, the blue LED will auto adjust between 0% and 7% depending on the moon phase. Blue LED is scheduled to start at 7am and rapidly hit 100%. Then it holds this intensity throughout the photoperiod. At sunset, the blue light is predominant over white, until the lunar phase begins. It looks very cool to have this blue sunset.
Profiluxscreenshots011.jpg

14 - Simulation
Cloud probability is set at 20%. This means 20% of the time, lights will not be at the maximum. Lights will decrease intensity by 40% as programmed. This simulates a cloud passing over the reef. Clouds will stay over the tank anywhere from 3s to 45s as programmed. This is by far, my favorite feature of the Profilux controller. This allows the tank to look different nearly all day long.
Moon phase is set to occur from 5pm to 7am. Only blue LEDs will operate as selected. The moon photo changes according to the lunar phase from new moon to full moon.
Rainy days occur on the day(s) of the week selected. Darkening is set for 70%. This makes sense. Cloud darkening is set at 40% and rainy days produce darker skies than just cloudy days. During a rainy day, the reef will look 70% dimmer than a normal day. This is great for natural retardation of algae growth. Clouds still occur on rainy days. I have only selected the white LEDs to be dimmed on rainy days. This gives the tank a nice blue color. I am a blue freak, but dimming both blue and white are more natural and the reef will appear gray in color like a true rainy day.
Profiluxscreenshots014.jpg

17 - Thunderstorm
Begin by selecting which days of the week storms occur. Then select how many times a day the storm occurs, followed by time of day and duration. This is an area I think could use some improvement. Storms occur randomly in nature. Why do I have to have a storm occur on the same days at the same time for the same duration? Boring. Mix it up and allow for random storms. Storm intensity is set from 1 to 10. I choose the max intensity with cloud darkening of 90%. This makes sense. Clouds darken 40%, rainy days set at 70%, and stormy days produce 90%. Clouds still pass over, thus making each storm unique. You can manually start a storm to show off my second favorite feature, lighting!
This is another place for an improvement, although it is more of a fantasy. Profilux should have an audio output connecting to speakers capable of producing on-cue thunder, wind, and rain sound effects. :smokin: That would be something eh?!
Profiluxscreenshots017.jpg

19 - Light Scenarios
This screen is fun to watch. Sometimes clouds passing over the reef are subtle. The lightmixer reveals what you are observing. Let’s say it’s noon. W100, B100. As a cloud passes over the reef, both lights will dim up to 40% for 3s to 45s. By watching the lightmixer, you can see the exact LED intensity.
By checking the manual override, you can activate a few features. This is more for playing than anything else. Synchronal allows you to see what the reef looks like with both LED intensities the same value from 0% to 100% in ¼ increments. This is useful when performing PAR measurements.
Crossfade is another cool feature. First, select the time you with the crossfade to occur. I have 10s selected. Lights will fade from W0 to W100 precisely when blue fades from B100 to B0. Great for playing.
Profiluxscreenshots019.jpg

21 - Illumination Overview
This overview graphs all the lights in use. Very complex arrays can be programmed. The all-in-one AI keeps it simple. Only 2 channels are used. Illumination 1 represents white LEDs and is the black line. Illumination 2 represents blue LEDs and is the red line. A very useful tool here is activating “Test Light Scenes.” This allows you to instantly view the reef lighting for that time of day. Simply activate and slide the bar to the time of day you wish to view. The exact clock time is displayed. It’s a very useful feature to help you decide what you wish the reef to look like throughout the photoperiod.
Profiluxscreenshots021.jpg

28 - Special Lamp
For Aqua Illumination only. Self explanatory here. Select the channel for White and Blue LED control. Flash intensity is for lightning flashes. I set the maximum. Baseline temperature is an AI feature to control fan speed based on unit temperature. The AI unit produces no detectable heat. I’m not sure it really even needs a fan. The fans just seem to make noise. Very little air is pushed through those puny fans.
Profiluxscreenshots028.jpg

32 - Pumps
Another one of the major advantages of the Profilux is full integration with Tunze controllable pumps. I received one of the first Tunze 7096 controllers released into the US. The Profilux does more than the Tunze. The two Tunze 6055 pumps are setup to produce waves. The internal sump acts as the wave box. One thing I did not like at all on the Tunze 7096 was the night time option. If you select that box, it turns the wave box off at night. This resulted in only one pump setup as wave box and the other set in pulse. Then at night, one pump was off and the other had reduced flow. The Profilux does it the right way. Wave box action is preserved, but intensity of waves is reduced to 20%. Does the ocean stop making waves at night? Tunze seems to think so. :eek: The answer is no. Wave intensity is reduced, not turned off.
FEED MODE is set for 5 minutes. Press escape button on Profilux panel and feed tank.
NOCTURNAL DECREASE enabled from 7pm to 5am. Pumps are dimmed to a selected 20%. You can make it whatever you want. Day time waves are about ¾” and night time waves are about 3/8”.
PUMP COUNT GROUP 1 is set at 2. For wave action in a small tank, select Permanent, short right-angled waves. Next, select resonance frequency. This is one section where the Tunze 7096 outperforms the Profilux. Tunze allows time adjustments by one hundredths. Profilux by tenths. The Tunze controller resonance was 0.33s. The Profilux only goes down to 0.4s. When I first discovered this I freaked. In actuality, I use 0.6s for the Profilux with good results. It illustrated that the internal clocks for each device are different. I do wish that I could tweak the time on the Profilux. The true resonance frequency for da Artsy Cube is somewhere between 0.6s and 0.7s. You can observe some wave cancellation with 0.6s in the middle of the wave.
A status bar shows you instantaneous pump intensities. Another unique feature is random wave reduction. I have selected 40%. That means during the day, waves will fluctuate from 60% to 100% randomly. I can honestly tell you that I do not notice a difference in wave action.
Profiluxscreenshots032.jpg

53 â€"œ Maintenance
Perfect for routine water changes or any other maintenance. I turn everything off during maintenance. All 6 sockets and the 2 pumps (1-10v interphases). Determine the time needed, click the button, and press save. Proceed with maintenance. This is a handy feature that took me awhile to learn. I used to do water changes by starting a feed cycle. What sucks is that the level control remains active. So when I removed water, the ATO activated. I began unplugging the ATO pump. This feature, if you know about it is wonderful.
Profiluxscreenshots053.jpg

34 - pH Value 1
Complicated. Set it once and leave it alone. It is capable of controlling calcium and kalk reactors.
Profiluxscreenshots034.jpg

38 - Temperature 1
Complicated. Set it once and forget it.
Profiluxscreenshots038.jpg

43 - Level
Awesome device and well built. Previously I used a Reef Fanatic controller. I had several float failures and mishaps that lead to tank flooding. The Profilux has been faultless. I use one standard float valve in ATO configuration. It can do much more, like water change, min/max, control 3 sensors, etc. I rigged the holder device with magnets instead of the faulty suction cups. Works great.
Another great protection feature is the alarm and pump time-out. I selected 2m30s. If the water level gets too low in the reservoir, the pumps shut off after 2m30s to prevent failure. An alarm will sound. You MUST “reset errors” before the ATO operated again. This one took me a few hair-pulling days to figure out.
Profiluxscreenshots043.jpg

45 - Socket Functions
This is another section that leads to confusion. Sockets refer to the devices plugged into the socket bar. You must program these before they will operate.
Profiluxscreenshots045.jpg

46 - 1-10v Interfaces
These refer to the controllable pumps, lights, and other low voltage accessories that are connected to the L ports on Profilux. Sometimes, specials cables are required, like the Tunze cables and splitters. Before they work, each L port must be programmed. Do it once and forget it. These are difficult and frustrating to program, even when you read the manual.
Profiluxscreenshots046.jpg

CONCLUSION:
I refer to the combination of the Aqua Illumination LED module and the Profilux controller as a marriage. These two devices belong together! If you own an AI system with standard controller, treat yourself to the Profilux. These are the two best piece of reef gear I have ever owned, hands down.

Sorry for all the typos. I forgot to post a few links.

You can visit . . . da Artsy Cube build thread here:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1379150

On that page, I also posted a revised tutorial. I added a couple more arguments and corrected the typos. It's worth reading.

Here is a photo of . . . da Artsy Cube aquarium

ArtsyCube-Profilux001.jpg

Finally, the You Tube Videos are going through. Wow, that was hard and takes forever to load.

More videos will be posted ASAP.
Aqua Illumination â€"œ Profilux Controller Part I of VII
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4qPb6iPc-Y

You can visit . . . da Artsy Cube build thread here:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1379150

On that page, I also posted a revised tutorial. I added a couple more arguments and corrected the typos. It's worth reading.

Here is a photo of . . . da Artsy Cube aquarium

ArtsyCube-Profilux001.jpg

Finally, the You Tube Videos are going through. Wow, that was hard and takes forever to load.

More videos will be posted ASAP.
Aqua Illumination â€"œ Profilux Controller Part I of VII
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4qPb6iPc-Y

Very nice tutorial and review.
Thanks for taking your time to post all this.
I am using also the Profilux and the AI modules and can confirm this is the ideal combination.
I hope you don't mind I post here a little "thunderstorm" video to illustrate this?
I used a "moderate" lightning scenario for the video. You can set the intensity the way you like it. You could make it completely dark in the tank and then start the lightning if you like.
The sound you will hear in the video is just implemented in the video and doesn't happen in real but it is a nice effect when you watch. As mentioned I wish aldso the Profilux would have a speaker feature to make this work in real...:)

Video

Maxreefer, thanks for sharing those. This is the place for others to share such videos too.

Max, how long have you been using the AI LED system? I think many people looking and tagging along are very curious to know about your experiences with coral growth. You have a great mixed reef with lots of different corals and different placement too.

Can you post up some of your tank specs and equipment in use?
By any chance, have you taken any progress photos since starting up the tank. It would be nice to see coral growth.
Cheers

do you have any pictures of 1) the cable that connects from the Profilux to the AI module and 2) the cable you use to connect your computer to the Profilux?

No pics. The AI cable is a standard looking serial cable. The computer cable is a long USB cable, like the one used to connect a printer. Printer male USB plug on one end and a male standard USB plug on teh other end.
Cheers

I'm on the wait list for the P3 upgrade. I will do another review and tutorial after it arrives. The best part of this upgrade for 200 bones is wireless Internet capabilities. I travel a lot and this will be a useful addition.
Cheers

I have a 36 gallon corner bow front (surface to sand is 20 in), do you think I should get the 12 in fixture? Second question, the specs say it's as powerful as a 250w metal halide. I'm guessing that means it can support sps corals, and clams, am I wrong?

Oh, do you know which model of Profilux you used; all I can find are $400, and $700 boxes. :sad2::mad2::sad2::sad1:

I have the basic Profilux Plus II with extra sensors and such.

Yes, you should be able to support all corals. Many success with AI LED lighting. Placement is key. You will have higher PAR values directly under the lamp. MH does a better job with spread spectrum. LED is still very focused. PAR drops way off at the angles.
Cheers

Back