Aquac Remora Skimmer Box?

Toadally

Does anyone have this surface skimmer box with their Remora skimmer? I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and it's driving me insane trying to keep the water level from dropping too much and burning up the maxijet 1200. Are there any modifications that anyone has made to make it not so demanding? Thanks for any and all replies and recommendations!:confused:

I used to have to top off 1/2 gallon a day on my 55, I got tired of doing this for months... I bought a auto top off unit from autotopoff.com... get one of the tank mount units and you will be good to go, I have the single float valve and has woked flawlessly for months!

definitely agree with shock130, the only way to keep water at a consistant level would be to have an automatic top off unit

How much of a water drop before the switch turns on and water pumped into the tank? The water level in the skimmer box drops very fast without a noticeable difference in water level in the tank. I'm just wondering if this unit will keep the level in the skimmer box at an optimum level. Thanks!

Toadally, the switch on the float valve is very short, water will not drop very much. I keep the water level in my skimmer box just below the water level in the tank to give me that "overflow" advantage to keep scum off the surface of the water. Although, this did take a little while to fine tune, but it will keep the water level very constant, its only like 1/8" water level difference. I would highly highly recommend you get one, you will NOT regret it!!!!

Thanks Shock130, I'll probably order one soon. It does get tiring filling the tank several times a day.

i have the jbj ato. the float fits inside the skimmer box and is out of view. i feed the tank from a 10 gallon next to it with a maxi 400. very please so far. Some ato is the only way. i used to top off twice a day. if i went out of town id have to take the skimmer box off. total pain in the a$$.

I use a MJ 600 to pump into the tank from my 5 gallon bucket...

U can put the float inside the skimmer box, but with the snail guard its a VERY tight fit, and it would have the pump running often since the water level in the box changes quickly with evap. My pump turns on prob 4 times a day now.

I also had to take off skimmer box when going out of town, I left the tank for 10 days before, and the water level dropped 3 inches in my 55 gallon, not so good for tank, but everyone survived, but now with my ATO no problems at all!

for added safety, you could put the ATO on a timer... to protect against an unfortunate event... like the float getting stuck... every little bit helps....

Back