aquactinics t5, any par testing?

hey fishy fishy

looking either to upgrade or get a second unit and just saw that they are coming out with a new icecap fixture and was wondering how they will compare to each other and tek lights.

has anyone done par measurements with the standard aquactinic model? and compared to to others like the tek, noca extreme, or aqua medic, or ati powermodul?

i know their new icecap unit will be more powerful than the standard version, but it should be. it is more than 3x the price ($800 v $261.45).

how do you all feel about their price, $500, for a non-ballasted unit? just for comparison sake, an 8 bulb tek is $360 with ballasts, and an ati power modul 6 bulb unit is about $600 with ballasts and bulbs.

in the end, regardless of price, it will be the performance and features that should determine worth.

however, its a shame and somewhat odd that they havent done their own tests and published the data so we can all have a good understanding on how the lights rate to other systems out there.

so im hoping someone on here has done it for us.

hey fishy fishy,

You bring up some good points about testing. We are currently building a special test jig where we will be able to do real testing in a lab controlled environment. This way we will be able to compare different fixtures and lamps while having a common base for comparison. Most testing done is done by hand and usually not always exactly at the same spot or always the same parameters that can throw off results. We will have the jig ready after MACNA and should start testing soon after.

Thank you,

Tom
Aquactinics

Sorry about that fishy. Hit the submit button by accident and then went back to edit the post.

Tom
Aquactinics

no prob,

btw, will your standard t5 fixture get a face lift, or any type of upgrade?

or will you leave it as is and just continue to sell it along side the new fixture?

oh, did someone win the naming contest?

fishy,
Right now the standard T5 fixtures will remain as it, but we are toying around with some ideas to improve them. Again, just some things on the drawing board. Always looking to improve our products.

The winning name is still being decide, but we have narrowed it down and should have the winner picked out very soon.

Thank you,

Tom
Aquactinics

Aquactinics, I have the 72 with 14 bulbs on my 125, is there a way to get a moonlight setup or do you have one for this fixture or can recommend setup

Bradco,
Do you have a glass canopy on your tank or a canopy? We do have a few IceCap moonlights that can sit directly on top of the glass canopy or mounted to the canopy. Some have used these moonlights and just have them sit on the splash shield inside the fixture.

Thank you,

Tom
Aquactinics

No I do not have anything on top except the light fixture, my LFS is supposed to have the legs for me today, and some moonlights, but if there was something that you guys make especially for this fixture I would rather have that

Bradco,

Currently there is nothing we have for moonlights that are especially for this fixture. I would talk to you LFS about moonlight options, or have them contact us.

Thank you,

Tom
Aquactinics

Back