Aquafuge and BH1000 sufficient reef tank?

R6REEFER

In Memoriam
Hey guys,

Decided to go the starter reef route rather than the predator way. My debate is weather or not my planned setup will be sufficient enough. I have a 55g with 29lbs LR 45lbs LS.

Here's my plans:

Aquafuge medium with lighting

Reef octopus bh1000

An extra power head for flow?

marine reef 48" led w/ timer

Add some LR and macro algea to the fuge. Will this do? Reason I'm choosing this is I dont have space for a sump right now. Any recommendations or additions? Thanks

45lbs of rock is a good start but it wont really look like a lot of rock is in the tank. I have the bh2000 and its a workhorse definitely need powerheads.

I know, 29 lbs doesn't look like even a dent, stuffs expensive tho. Prolly go with a jebao wp20. Seems like enough flow with the skimmer and refugium RP

Have you considered adding some dry base rock in addition to the live rock? It's pretty inexpensive and in time, it's hard to tell it from live rock. I used 30# of dry and 10# of live rock when I set up my tank.

Ill look into it, havent seen other than livr rock at the couple LFS we have. But onward from that point lets focus more on the refugium/skimmer. Should i look into a kalk drip ATO system as well? Or is that more advanced reefing

I definitely would use plenty of dry rock it will become live over time. I had 55g fowlr and I cycled with 60 lbs of dry rock and through a nice size rock i had in my 38g reef and the tank cycled in 2 weeks I had a healthy happy lion fish in it for a few years til i moved out of state

Check out bulk reef supply reef saver dry rock. Looks great and inexpensive. In time it will seed into live rock. The refugium is a good idea however I'm nervous about the weight of the hob refugium on my 55 gallon. I'm looking at an overflow box to a small sump under my tank. I also have limited room so it's a challenge but I really want the extra volume and macro algae so I can eventually grow corals...

Back