AquaMaxx ConeS CO-3 review

davidfrances

I spent the entire day yesterday installing AquaMaxx's ConeS CO-3 skimmers on both of my 250G Marineland DD display tanks. These replaced a couple of Skimz SM251's whose feeder pumps become unreliable.

I use 40G breeders for the sump, and given the diameter of the old Skimz, I had to first pull my ATO reservoir out, then pull the sump completely out to remove the Skimz body, what a PITA!. On the bright side, I was able to clean behind my tanks, and do a thorough cleaning of my sump. I was also able to "pimp" my sump and ATO reservoir with lights, and it looks good!

My initial review of the AquaMaxx ConeS CO-3 is very positive. To begin with, it only uses one feeder pump, so it will consume less energy. The pump is external, as opposed to internal with the Skimz, so that should make maintenance easier.

The diameter of the ConeS is smaller, and the collection cup holds less (not a big deal, as I have the overflow plumbed to an external collection container).

The feature I like best on the ConeS is that the adjustment valve on the AquaMaxx is exponentially better than Skimz, allowing one to easily dial the skimmer in. I was never able to fine tune the Skimz. After approximately 24 hours, I had a good half gallon of dark skimmate. That tells me my old Skimz were woefully inefficient and underperforming.

Photos follow of the ConeS installed:

Right side tank:

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv36663%3Enu%3D9858%3E648%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A%3A8%3B867334%3Bnu0mrj

Left side tank:

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv37444%3Enu%3D9858%3E648%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A%3A92358%3B34%3Bnu0mrj

Full sump shot, Left side tank:

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv379%3B5%3Enu%3D9858%3E648%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A%3A92358934%3Bnu0mrj

I just put one on my 200 and can't be happier. It replaced a octo pov that had been un reliable since day 300. Dc pumps suck if you want my opinion. I put cone s1 on my daughters 65 and liked it so much that I didn't even bother looking. Mine are jns versions bought at big als pets. Can't beat price.

Hi David

How do you like you skimmer so far? Looking to get one of these

Also how'd you put lights in the sump?

Hi David

How do you like you skimmer so far? Looking to get one of these

Also how'd you put lights in the sump?

Thanks for asking. I couldn't be happier with the AquaMaxx skimmers.

They have operated flawlessly for 6 months now. I get a ton of dark brown/almost black skimmate and my tanks have never been cleaner. The pump is significantly more reliable than my previous brand, and since it only requires one (1) pump, my energy usage is reduced as well. They are so easy to dial in, that I find myself increasing or decreasing skimmate production based on the appearance of my corals - if they look a little stressed, I will dial it up, and then back down when they perk up.

I would recommend these skimmers to anyone!

My sump light is a submersible Accent LED Lighting System by Marineland. They are about $41.00 on Amaz0n

Thanks D! Great I'm about 99.99% going to with the AMCC3!! Thanks again for the tip on adjusting based on coral health. I like that!!

hi David ,
i was looking to get the same skimmer , i know it is great but the thing that maters to most to me is the noise as my goal with the new thank is to make it silent , so the Question is how is the noise on the AM CO-3
thanks

Mines arriving tomorrow. The C0-1 was the best skimmer I've owned so my fingers are crossed the CO-3 will work as well.

hi David ,
i was looking to get the same skimmer , i know it is great but the thing that maters to most to me is the noise as my goal with the new thank is to make it silent , so the Question is how is the noise on the AM CO-3
thanks

Whisper quiet - when I am working on my sump with all other equipment turned off it is barely audible.

JNS is the same skimmer and available for $404.99 plus 15% off coupon for those of you considering this skimmer.

Back