AquaMaxx Hang-on skimmer

Had one for a couple of years, bubbles were terrible, here is how I fixed it:

Get rid of the "T" pvc piece on the skimmer outlet.

Get these PVC pieces, slip x slip:

One 90 degree (L) piece and one 45 degree piece.

Cut just enough pvc pipe to join the fittings together (two one-inch long pieces of pvc pipe)

The output goes:

90 degree fitting (angled so it points downward at 45 degrees to the right)

then 45 degree fitting (so the output from the 45 degree fitting is horizontal with the opening 1/2 above and 1/2 below water level)

This 45 degree fitting should point towards the back right corner of the tank.

Had one for a couple of years, bubbles were terrible, here is how I fixed it:

Get rid of the "T" pvc piece on the skimmer outlet.

Get these PVC pieces, slip x slip:

One 90 degree (L) piece and one 45 degree piece.

Cut just enough pvc pipe to join the fittings together (two one-inch long pieces of pvc pipe)

The output goes:

then 45 degree fitting (so the output from the 45 degree fitting is horizontal with the opening 1/2 above and 1/2 below water level)

Thanks for your help. Will try today!!

The output goes:

So the bubbles float out onto the surface. I have 3 of these and I doubt that changes much. I like how JNS solved the problem for the Seaside Aquatics branded HOB they make, by using a ramp covered in sponge.

Attachments

• HO-1.jpg
    HO-1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 0
That's the best way to solve the issue. If you notice the bubbles exit through the exit pipe. If you increase the volume in the chamber eg. put a bag of activated carbon in where the intake chamber is and the volume increase therefore the larger bubble will not exit the pipe.
So the bubbles float out onto the surface. I have 3 of these and I doubt that changes much. I like how JNS solved the problem for the Seaside Aquatics branded HOB they make, by using a ramp covering in sponge.

Back