AquaMaxx HOB Filter/Skimmer

wsboyette

Is there anyone out there using the AquaMaxx hang-on-back filter/skimmer ? How does it perform, and is there any problem with microbubbles in the return flow ? I don't want air bubbles in my tank.

AquaMaxx-HF-M-Hang-On-Back-Multi-Filter-with-Protein-Skimmer-99.jpg

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and either build a sump, if you don't have one, and get an in sump skimmer. Even though you are fish only now that will probably change in the future, and with a sump and a better skimmer your fish will be healthier regardless. Just by your photo I suspect that I have the same HOB filters that you have (based on the intake tube and the strainer) I had two of those on a fresh water 75 and they were not sufficient for that so they definitely won't be able to handle a salt water tank. They are both in my garage now and I went with 2 tidal 100s for my fresh water set-up.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Do yourself a favor and either build a sump, if you don't have one, and get an in sump skimmer. Even though you are fish only now that will probably change in the future, and with a sump and a better skimmer your fish will be healthier regardless. Just by your photo I suspect that I have the same HOB filters that you have (based on the intake tube and the strainer) I had two of those on a fresh water 75 and they were not sufficient for that so they definitely won't be able to handle a salt water tank. They are both in my garage now and I went with 2 tidal 100s for my fresh water set-up.

No place for a sump in the current stand.

I know I'm a Lifereef fanboy but I believe Jeff makes a hang on the back model.

question is, do you currently need a skimmer?
You have a fish only tank.
How are your nitrates and phosphates?
How often are you changing water?
If they are good and your not and your happy with how often you are changing water for waste export and water maintenance, than you probably don't need a skimmer.
I might go with cycling some live rock to add to the tank to increase biofiltration before adding a skimmer unless your adding SPS or LPS to the tank and you need low nitrates and phosphates. Upgrade your HOB filter to something that will give you more flow for saltwater. IF you need to add a skimmer, there are HOBs that are better than having that all in one filter.

question is, do you currently need a skimmer?
You have a fish only tank.
How are your nitrates and phosphates?
How often are you changing water?
If they are good and your not and your happy with how often you are changing water for waste export and water maintenance, than you probably don't need a skimmer.
I might go with cycling some live rock to add to the tank to increase biofiltration before adding a skimmer unless your adding SPS or LPS to the tank and you need low nitrates and phosphates. Upgrade your HOB filter to something that will give you more flow for saltwater. IF you need to add a skimmer, there are HOBs that are better than having that all in one filter.

All saltwater aquariums will benefit greatly from use of a skimmer. It removes a lot of filthy dissolved organics from the water.

All saltwater aquariums will benefit greatly from use of a skimmer. It removes a lot of filthy dissolved organics from the water.

Yes they do. I choose not to have one and I do a 5% water change weekly to export my stuff. I have a mixed reef softy tank and my nitrates are around 10 ppm and my phosphate is .03 and everything is doing great[emoji4]. I could have an HOB skimmer and change my water every other or every 3 weeks but I also get the added benefit at adding back to my tank what ever is being used up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back