Aquapod 24 skim or not

charlie_mac23

I recently purchased a used Aquapod 24 and am wondering if most owners use the skim overflow method or just let the water flow through all the slots. Is one better than the other? Also, do you use the blue foam and bio balls or not? I only have 3 covers for the filter slots. Looks like there are 6 sets of slots. Am I missing some covers? Can I buy them somewhere?

OK I just got the same tank and am new to Nanos... What kind of skimmer? Where should it go? How much H2o should be in the back filter? Do I need a new pump? Just got this new with 150 watt sunpod.

When I was talking about skimming I was referring to the filter that is included. You can plug the slots down the side and just let the water flow over the top (skim) or leave the slots open and the water is pulled through. LBCcoastie how many slot covers did your tank come with? I only have 3.

Great post. I am also a newbie to SW aquariums and my AquaPod 24 model 7051. I hope you don't mnd my response and additional questions Charlie. It seems we are some what in the same situation.

Mine came with the bioballs, a bag of "fake" round/hollow rock in a bag and only 3 doors to block of the filters for the "skimming" function. As far as the skimming abilities I have noticed that the filters can be pressed down enough to control how the water flows over them, too little or too much.

I have seen several post that say remove the bioballs if you have LR but should or should I not remove the bagged rock as well?

I am unable to do a search but has there already been a thread that lists some mods made to AuaPod 24s?

Throw away all of the filter media that comes with the tank. install the overflow panels and put some chemi-pure and some purigen in the back. fill the tank itself with as much live rock as possible while still achieving the look you want. And finally do weekly water changes.

Back